86 25hp mecury gas issue?

Gafisherman

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys,
I just picked up a 25 hp and can't get it to crank. The compression is #1-101the #2-105. It also has excellent spark, but doesn't seem like its getting any gas to the plugs any thoughts.

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: 86 25hp mecury gas issue?

Clean the carb for starters, possibly needs a kit.

Mi duckdown

Commander

If I'm going to remove a carb, i clean and rebuild it. .02 And pump. Again my .02

Gafisherman

Seaman Apprentice

Cleaned the carb. Got new kit installed, it getting gas to bell bit not going to plugs. I have sprayed all the jets out good. It crank with a gas shot, so can't figure out why its not pulling gas up to the chamber.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

There appears to be a solenoid on this motor, maybe for the choke, is it working? This motor also shows a fuel filter in the system, have you checked it out?

Gafisherman

Seaman Apprentice

hmm looked everywhere cant find a solenoid, the fuel filter is before the carb and gas is going into the carb just not into the barrel. the choke is the diaphram on the side of the carb. It is a puzzle, like i said gas is in the bottom of the carb in the bell its just not going to the spark chamber.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Try spraying some premix into the carb and see if it will fire.

Gafisherman

Seaman Apprentice

Yeah it cranks and runs good till that shot burns up. The carb is clean but can't seem to give gas to the plugs.

windy5849

Petty Officer 1st Class

No one else has asked,but are you using the choke knob correctly?
My manual says to-
1-Connect fuel line and open tank vent
2-Squeeze primer bulb until firm
3-Shift into neutral and have emergency stop switch in run position
4-Rotate choke knob fully clockwise and pull out,push in,pull out
5-Attempt to start engine.After it starts,push choke knob in
6-As engine warms up,rotate choke knob counter clockwise to desired idle speed.
Hope this helps.

Gafisherman

Seaman Apprentice

I noticed my main jet is bent to the side some. That might be stopping the gas, how do I upload pics here

dirtdog38

Seaman

if u can crank it and be at the motor at the same time hand chock it see if u can pull gas then up the carb. should suck your hand or even put gas on it if it sucks good it should suck if not somthing might be wrong even start it on your premix and chock it hard with the chock or your hand look for any air leaks after the carb 2.if the jets clear alittle bend wont stop it from running make sure the bowl is full and the float is set high enough 2 just a little gas in ther wont do

Gafisherman

Seaman Apprentice

i figured it out, when i had the carb off today i knoticed that the two gas lines that run from the throttle body ( where the carb bolts up) were cut. They lead to the spark plugs, so i went and got some new gas line and after a couple of pulls it fired right up and idled great. Its funny how something so small can muck up the whole process, anyways idles great and rev good, water pump is pumping great as well. Only downside is i got it running about 20 mnins before i had to get rdy for work, so i have to wait till the morning before i can run it =/. Anyone know how much one of these motors go for? Only gave the guy $250 dollars for it and only have about 10 dollars invested in it.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Anywhere between 500-1000 depending on condition, you got a super deal.