1966 Starcraft transom rebuild....

Ragan2009

Cadet
I am down to the bare hull of my Starcraft and the wooden transom is rotten in places and will have to be replaced. Any suggestions before I dive into this project? I am hoping that is going to be easy to remove, trace, and cut the new one. But I am sure its not that easy. I hope that I dont have to cut any of the aluminum on the boat to remove the old transom. Any suggestions?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1966 Starcraft transom rebuild....

Very easy project. The hardest part is getting the old one out as they tend to swell in there when they're rotted. I tried lots of dumb stuff to get mine out but what finally worked was prying up on it from inside with a 2x4. Once it "pops" it's smooth sailing from there. You may have to cut a 1/2" of aluminum under the transom end caps. No biggie cuz it will be hidden by the caps when you're done. It's made of 2 sheets of 3/4" plywood laminated together. Sealing options include fiberglass and resin (poly or epoxy), epoxy resin alone (what most of us our doing), marine spar varnish, and then it gets down to porch paint and what not.

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

^^^^^^ Works like a charm! I put heavy roving in between my transom layers only because I already had it. I used epoxy.

Attachments

• DSCF2349.jpg
    DSCF2349.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF2350.jpg
    DSCF2350.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 0

Ragan2009

Cadet

Thanks for the info on the transom rebuild. Stupid question but how do I laminate the 2 pieces of 3/4 inch plywood together EZMO?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

You can use any number of things. PL Premium construction adhesive, Gorilla Glue, Titebond III wood glue. I waterproofed my transom with epoxy resin which is also a very good adhesive so I also used that for my laminating.

timfives

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the info on the transom rebuild. Stupid question but how do I laminate the 2 pieces of 3/4 inch plywood together EZMO?

I used the epoxy resin between my layers, and then screwed it together to ensure a tight fit. i screwed it from both sides. then i epoxied the outside to keep it water tight.

T