Switching 2 stroke oil

I've been looking all over the internet to see what people think about switching from Yamalube to Pennzoil 2 stroke oil. Lots of people say stick with the Yamalube and lots say switching is okay. As many people as I found saying not to switch, I haven't heard or seen any examples of an engine blowing or having problems related to changing oils. What do you guys think, and do you have any examples of why I shouldn't switch?

robert graham

Admiral
Re: Switching 2 stroke oil

Lots of opinions on this! I ran Yamalube for years with no problems, but switched to Pennzoil 100% Synthetic Outboard Motor Oil maybe 5 years ago, seems to smoke less, burn cleaner, less carbon. Either oil is fine, but what is important is the use of Ringfree and Stabil all the time and installation of a fuel/water separator. Good Luck!

brielly

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Oil is oil. If it meets the tcw-3 spec then it will be fine. There are only 3 or 4 companies that refine and produce motor oil and they supply all the companies you have heard of ie pennzoil, supertech, quicksilver, yamalube, etc. Its not like yamaha makes their own oil. Some do have better additive packages then others. I have used pennzoil and quicksilver and had good results. I'm sure the yamalube is a good product but like most yamaha products its overpriced for what it is.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I am mostly of the "awl are awl" school, Hersh, with one exception. . . .well, make that two exceptions:

1. TC-W3 certified synthetic oil will produce less smoke, stink, carbon buildup and pollution than dino oil. It will also cost a lot more.

Differences between TC-W3 dino oils are marketing gobble-de-gook and high overhead, inflating the cost of "brand name" oil way beyond the cost of store brands that are just as good.

2. DFI outboards require different characteristics than carbed outboards, so use only oils that are required by the maker's warranty. That is not the same as the recommended maker's brand oils.

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer

if it meets manufactors rating then its fine to use.years ago. GM said that if a motor failed and did have an ac delco oil filter it voided the warranty, a judge said that if that was the case GM would have to supply the oil filter free of charge to the consumer, GM backed down. so IF it meets the manufactors requirements then it should be fine, but the extra money you spend for the"good" stuff sdtill won't make a differance if it fails out of warranty. but ther is something to be said for peace of mind. I buy what ever is cheapest that meets maunuf. specs. choice is yours