Who else cut a hole in the garage to fit the boat?

Socal Pat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
For the last year and a half I have been sooooo happy that my boat fit in the garage so nicely. A couple weeks ago I dropped the boat off to have a new fangled Terrova GPS controlled trolling motor put on in place of the Motorguide that came with the Tracker. Got home to find out that it hangs off the bow more than the old one. Great!! Now it won't fit in the garage. :eek:

I ended up cutting out a hole in the back wall to accomodate the motor. Luckily I did't need to cut out the back side since that wall was framed with 2x6's. So no motor in the den!

tater76

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Who else cut a hole in the garage to fit the boat?

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA! now THATS dedication right there! I have only pushed momma's car out of the garage for the boat. That takes some huervos lemme tell ya!

j_martin

Admiral

My dad said he would buy a new 1957 dodge on the condition it fit in his 1920's garage. I remember the salesman chittin' bricks when the door wouldn't quite get past the fins. Dad cut a couple of notches in the frame to clear the front bumper, and it closed, so he bought the car.

318, typewriter drive. I had a lot of fun in that car.

sublauxation

Lieutenant

Mine wont quite fit straight in, I considered taking the prop off and just drilling a hole for the shaft to go through the back wall.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Does it count that I would have if my garage was drywalled? :p My outboard just fits between two studs on the back wall with like an inch to spare.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Mine wont quite fit straight in, I considered taking the prop off and just drilling a hole for the shaft to go through the back wall.

No reason to drill a hole...just back up a bit faster than normal. Voila! One perfectly sized and shaped hole! :)

sublauxation

Lieutenant

No reason to drill a hole...just back up a bit faster than normal. Voila! One perfectly sized and shaped hole! :)

Now there's a laugh I needed today, thanks Fireman! I considered your technique, it doubles as an excuse to buy a shiny new stainless prop too! With the prop on I think I'm about 6 inches too short,I figure that vinyl siding has some give so people would only see an odd bulge. I kicked the wife's car out of the garage and put the boat in diagonal instead, it leaves more room to spread out my crap and work on the boat this way. Wifes car now has hail damage and she aint happy though.

rebars1

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My brother-in-law cut a hole in his garage door for the tongue of his boat trailer to stick out about 12 inches. He built a wooden box to cover and seal it and painted it to match the rest of the door. It was low enough to the bottom of the door that it did not interfere with its operation.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

My brother-in-law cut a hole in his garage door for the tongue of his boat trailer to stick out about 12 inches. He built a wooden box to cover and seal it and painted it to match the rest of the door. It was low enough to the bottom of the door that it did not interfere with its operation.

That's why they make swing-away trailer tongues. Pull the pin and the last 12-18" pivots to the side.

sw33ttooth

Chief Petty Officer

i need a barn i have a 23 foot cuddy stands like 12 feet high on trailer and trailer is about 30 feet long. i seen a garage door with a slit cut out of it once about 2 feet off the ground and about 6 inches wide. looks stupid as hell but i guess if it works for them whatever.

mtp9302

Seaman Apprentice

That's why they make swing-away trailer tongues. Pull the pin and the last 12-18" pivots to the side.

Exactly what I was going to say. I installed one on my trailer last fall and was able to keep my 19' bowrider in my garage through the winter with ~ 1-2 feet to spare. So far it tows just as well as the solid tongue also.