hard shifting omc cobra

nightride

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello' hoping someone can help gone thur 4 shift cables so far I have a 93 cobra v6, shifting is fine out of the water but when in the water its hard to shift foward to neutral or reverse to neutral the switch is working already checked that if I shake the lever it will drop out of gear We have adjusted the cables all different ways too thanks

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: hard shifting omc cobra

then the interupter is not working.<br /> or the transfer block has worn bushings. you may try to dissconnect the throttle shift cable at the block and see if it shifts smooth by had at the transfer block.<br /> good luck and keep posting

CTD

Petty Officer 1st Class

sounds like interupter to me too. Just push the switch eng should run rough. When in the water have some one try shifting it and watch the mechanism to see if it is moving the switch. On mine (1987) the roller fell off the switch. $43.00 plus shipping for the switch.

pra51

Seaman

The switch they are talking about is part of the "esa" it is the one with the long spring arm with the roller on it.It is mounted on a bracket beside the electric shoke on carb.With engine running in neutral you should be able to push in on this switch and drop the rpms,this inable the dog clutch to drop out of gear when you shift.Also the cobra shifts better at a low rpm.Mine is idling,warm at about 600 rpm,when I push the esa switch it drops to about 400.<br />Hope this helps.As stated above,Stuart Hastings site is a must for a omc cobra owner.

nightride

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks guys will let you know how it turns out going to put the new shift cable and switch in saturday<br /> Thanks again