New Guy with Questions

Atchison0341

Recruit
Ok real quick here is my story. I bought a 1989 Sea Ray with a Mercruiser while I was stationed up in North Carolina, I was in the Marine Corps. I bought the boat and it ran fine, and when it was time to winterize, my father drove from Texas to get the boat and have a guy he knew winterize it. I have been so busy just getting out of the Marines, that I am just now getting things ready for the
boat.

I would like to get a manual on the engine and I have the engine code which is 0c462492, the code was located on the cover over the flame aresterator. I have searched high and low for any info on this engine and can't find any! Any help would be much appreciated! I have a good knowledge of car engines and thought this couldn't be much more complicated than working on a car.

EDIT- the tag on the side of the block says the engine serial number is 0c547332

Also on a separate note, I have began to tinker with the engine a bit, took out the plugs (need replacing) and took off the distributor cap( needs replacing) and the rotor button( need replacing) as well as the thermostat( it was rusted like no other!) I'm trying to find a good place to buy parts or even get part numbers from, because as I understand, the engine is nothing more than a 3.0 GM block, and with me working at Advance Auto Parts, I figured I could cross some numbers and use automotive parts. Is this possible? If so, if anyone can help, I'd be glad to cross numbers from advance and share them with everyone.

And my final question is, I've done lots of reading about winterizing your boat, however as I said a guy did it for me while it was in my fathers care, and now that I have it back, I've checked all my fluids and there are NONE, no oil, power-steering, nothing. I asked the guy and he said he couldn't remember if he took them out or not, I see no oils in the hull, so would it be safe just to refill all the missing fluids? And I feel like an idiot, but I can NOT for the life of me find where to put the anti-freeze, does it even need it during the summer time? Because as I understand the engine has a water pump that helps cool the engine.

I apologize for all the questions, this has just been so frustrating, I have lurked the forums for weeks now seeking answers and have come up empty handed, any info or advice would be very helpful! I'd love to get it on the lake atleast one time this summer!

Thanks,

Charles

Lyle29464

Lieutenant
Re: New Guy with Questions

I think you should have a mobile service go through it with you the first time.

Atchison0341

Recruit

Thank you for the answer, but I really can't afford to have some one come over know,and I learn best doing it myself.

ziggy

Admiral

I have a good knowledge of car engines and thought this couldn't be much more complicated than working on a car.
it's not, but a boat is a boat and a car is a car. don't mix the two up. auto parts in general (short of rotating parts inside the block) have no place on a boat. all externals on a boat engine are marine grade, rated, uscg approved. these items can't be interchanged w/ auto parts. fwiw. best i understand a 3.0 was an industrial use engine + marine use. it wasn't used in autos or trucks. best i understand. so anyways, forget about using auto parts on your boat. your local mercrusier dealer needs to become your friend. you can look some mercrusier parts up 'here'. if ya want aftermarket parts, iboats has a bunch. use the oem numbers to find out if the aftermarket parts are applicable.
I have began to tinker
imho, best to leave the tinkerin alone. it'll get ya in trouble.. you can find some facts 'here' for your engine and 'here' for your drive. these are your bible for your boat. the best tool in the box. must have item... read them they have the facts in them.

I've checked all my fluids and there are NONE, no oil, power-steering, nothing.
then fill them up and see if they leak out... you now have the info to fill them up with the proper fluids and where to place the fluids. be sure and watch the fluids after there replaced. like engine oil. make sure it don't go over full and turn to chocolate milk color.. if your unsure how long the fluids have been absent. it may be a good idea to prime the oil system. if the friction brgs become dry. that first start won't do them good w/o oil to lub them.
I asked the guy and he said he couldn't remember if he took them out or not,
yeah, sure, right.. imho, don't believe anything someone says. he may know exactly why the fluids are missing, you've yet to find out why...
but I can NOT for the life of me find where to put the anti-freeze, does it even need it during the summer time?
some boats have coolant, some don't. most don't. they are called raw water cooled. the body of water the boat floats in sucks up the water and ditributes it to the engine and manifold, the exhausts it out with exhaust gas. freash water cooled or closed system does have a place to put anti freeze into. it's called a heat exchanger on a boat (auto equivalent of a radiator) there are different ways closed cooled antifreeze and water to cool it are applied.
Because as I understand the engine has a water pump that helps cool the engine.
both systems have water pumps. most usual there is an sea water pick impeller in the lower in the drive. this impeller is a once a year inspection item. never run them w/o water or you destroy them in very short order. the other water pump is like on your auto. a circulation pump. it performs the same work as the one on your auto.

glad ya stopped by the forum and signed up. this place is a great resource. folks here have helped me immensely.

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Edit: Ziggy beat me to most of this ... but here it is anyways. The thermostat will be marine only... or at least my 4.3 was. Most ignition parts you will need marine parts only... For safety reasons. Find a good merc dealer to find your parts locally or do a search right here on iboats! Also, most don't require antifreeze... they take on raw water from the lake. You should use muffs and a garden hose if you ever run her in the driveway. And, I have no idea where your oil could have gone... maybe the guy just drained and didn't refill. But go to the top adults only section and download your manual. Goodluck man! And thank you for your service :)

dubs283

Vice Admiral

most parts you can buy right here on iboats, just click the marine store button, top left of any page on the site - i would not recommend using auto parts on a boat, in most cases its illegal (they can make your boat go BOOM!)

the engine does not use anti-freeze for cooling, it uses sea water drawn from the lake/sea/ocean/river/muffs/etc...

as far as having no fluids, don't EVER let that guy touch your boat again

as far as familiarizing yourself with the boat, take it to a reputable dealer/reapair shop and pay to have them summerize the boat for you, add fluids, and do whatever it takes to get the thing running

then have them go over with you step by step what they did and why, hopefully they will be located on a lake or river or ocean so they can take you for a spin in your new boat and show you how to properly operate it

here is a link for you to download the OEM manual for your engine:

http://www.4shared.com/document/hh5Z9V47/Service_Manual_10.html

and one for your drive/transom assy:

http://www.4shared.com/document/zz_5pj9o/Service_Manual_06.html

ziggy

Admiral

imho, somethings up with your s/n. hopefully someone will come by and help with that. i'm not convinced that #10 is what ya need. close maybe, but not positive and your s/n seems a little low for it to apply... someone with further resources may need to help. the dealer can let ya know which one ya need for sure.

Atchison0341

Recruit

WOW! You guys rock! Thanks so much for all the helpful info! And yes I will never let the guy touch it again!!!!!!

The S/N is throwing me off, and has been for a while, its bugging the crap out of the that I cant figure it out. I really do appreciate all the help that you guys have given me!