1968 johnson 33 electric ...HELP PLEASE

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishing dad 2011

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1968 johnson 33 hp electric start outboard that starts and runs but at any speed besides low speed it runs like crap..It seems like it is really using alot of gas and I actually see it on the water and I think it is coming out of the exhaust. I dont have any gas leaks at all and was wondering if this might be a common problem? with my luck probably not..I took the carb off and cleaned it but did not replace any gaskets(used old ones) but it ran like this before that too just not quite as bad. This sounds stupid I know but I am just looking for some advice. Do ya think a carb kit will help? I got a service manual for it and tried to make the carb adjustments but nothing seems to help.I put new plugs in it..I am running a 50:1 fuel mixture.. I am a super newbie when it comes to outboards and nobody will work on this old of a motor in my area. Can it be as easy as replacing the carb kit and adjusting the carbs per the manual? Pleaseany help at all would be appreciated.

royal0014

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1968 johnson 33 electric ...HELP PLEASE

Yup, rebuild kit time. Sounds like it's flooding.

Not that hard of a job. Dunk it in some carb cleaner. An air compressor is handy to have. New kit should have all the gaskets, though they don't always come with the float. Follow the instructions. A sneaky piece of advice is to take pictures as you disassemble;)

<<)))(((>>

fishing dad 2011

Seaman Apprentice

ok.. thanks I am going to try it but the way it runs I will be extremely suprised and glad if it helps but thanks for the reply

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I sure wish someone would come up with a better description of outboard performance than "runs like crap". It is absolutely useless.

It is also a bad idea to post an outboard problem in a forum that specifies, "(not engine problems)".

I will move this to the correct forum.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

It would probably be a good idea to check compression and spark also.

Status
Not open for further replies.