Tilt/Trim/Trouble - Help please

Eyeman

Seaman
1996 Mariner, first splash this afternoon and there was only clicking. The engine fired right up, but would not move. I pull the cover and the two relays at the very back of the engine were clicking when the up/down buttons were engaged, but the pump would fire. I wiggled the wires leading from the relay down to the piston area, but to no avail. Any guidance on my next step is appreciated. My son is running the boat on Saturday as the safety boat for a dragon boat race cancer survivor fund raiser. I'm on a plan to DC tomorrow afternoon, so I'll have to squeeze in the repair between meetings. I'll also get to my local repair shop to maybe call in a favor - if we can't get it fixed. Thanks.

RRitt

Captain
Re: Tilt/Trim/Trouble - Help please

hotwire the motor direct to a battery. if it spins then you got wiring problems. if it does not spin then you got motor problem. If you need motor don't just jump at lowest price. Arco & Sierra cost 50% more but last 2x as long.

if wiring problem check hi-amp power and ground on posts 87 and 87a. Might be a tripped breaker.

Eyeman

Seaman
Re: Tilt/Trim/Trouble - Help please

Thanks folks. My bad - It was a low battery charge that wouldn't allow the trim/tilt motor to engage. Really strange however, there was plenty of juice to start the 175 and even with it running the trim/tilt wouldn't operate. I'm not convinced I found the problem. But it's been working every time. When I plugged in the on-board charger this battery circuit lite up to beat the band for hours before dropping to a maintain only. The other two batteries both charged right up and dropped to maintain level. (triple bank charger).