Amp rating for tilt switch

TMALEGA

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok on my 3 wire tilt/trim motor what would be a safe operating range for the amp rating of a momentary switch? I am putting one in the rear by the motor and dont want to get to small of one. Its on that 85 85hp force of mine. I know it needs to be water proof. Not sure on amp rating. Thanks guys.

RRitt

Captain
Re: Amp rating for tilt switch

I use 20's. if you plan on using a lot rather than a few seconds every half hour then bigger would be nice.

fucawi

Banned

or if you find a nice switch with too low a rating you can always use it to power a couple of relays .. maybe your system already has relays and you can power them via a front or rear switch..or use one from a modern motor they all have them on the leg these days.

RRitt

Captain

if you want to use relays on your 3w motor then just pull the ground wire off post #87a. Post 87a should just be left as an open circuit. Do not disconnect ground from the engine block. You have to disconnect at the relay terminal 87a. The relay will not operate without ground on post #86.

After making this modification anf Mercury, Mariner, or Force 2w relay wiring harness will support 3w motors using the $3 Bosch style relay. Try to get relays that are glued together rather than snapped. The glued ones are waterproof and won't accidentally pull apart. Yopur modified relay harness work with 2w motors until you reconnect post 87a.

TMALEGA

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not really wanting to change the wiring on the motor i am really happy with the new motor from rritt. I just want to add the second switch at the rear so i can be out of the boat and set the transom saver. So i will go look at gettnig a water proof 20 amp momentary switch this after noon. I plan on mounting it as high as i can in the splashwell sides to help keep it out of the water or water from spraying on it. Honestly i was thinking 20 amp would have covered me but i wasnt sure enough to just do it. Didnt want a electrical fire on my boat due to under estimations. Thanks all.