1993 60hp Johnson outboard

djham

Recruit
New to me, took it out and have found that it has a problem with throttling up. Idles fine but begins to shake after 2000 rpms. Replaced spark plugs, a coil, and cleaned the carbs. Could it be the stator or cdi box?

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1993 60hp Johnson outboard

Take a inductive timinglight with you, and when it starts to do it, look look to see if you have a good strong strobe or is it week or intermentant.? Check all plugs. post back results.

BKS72

Petty Officer 3rd Class

How bad is it shaking and have you checked compression?

hidef

Lieutenant

If it is shaking at 2000 RPM and won't rev any higher the engine is going into SLOW mode. Does your warning horn beep when you start the engine? Disconnect the temp sensor and see if that clears the issue.

djham

Recruit

Compression checked out to be 125 on all 3 cylinders. The motor runs like a gem up to or around 2000rpm, but begins to shake and choke as if it has a rev limiter, which it does not. Dont believe the timing to be off because of how smooth the motor runs in the lower rpm. (A buddy of mine has a 2007 Evinrude and demonstrated the rev limiter and my motor behaves the same way; purrs, but once it reaches 2krpm or so, it shakes and will not go higher.

Anyone know how to test the stater, or any other ideas on what it might be? Will a thermostat limit the motor that way or cdi box? Anyone know how to test them to make sure they are operational?

No alarms sound at all during the motors operation.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Monte1961 wasn't suggesting you check the timing, he meant for you to check each plug wire when it was acting up to see if you are loosing spark on a cylinder.

djham

Recruit

We pulled all three plugs and checked spark...it seemed to get equal spark. I will double check tomorrow, but I dont have a timing light...is there a way to check it with a voltmeter or something?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

You have to check it out under load, while it's acting up. I guess, if you are brave, you could have someone run the boat for you and pull one plug wire at a time and see if it makes any difference. Be careful the plug wires will bite (shock) you if your not careful.

djham

Recruit

lol...yeah, we did that...the key is rubber handled pliers :) It seemed that the 3rd cyl. was not changing the behavior of the motor when we pulled the plug wire, so I replace that coil and it did nothing. Spoke to a tech and he believed it to be the stator, which is expensive and no returns allowed on electronic componets, which is why Im here, trying to avoid both the tech and part charge if at all possible.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Just disconnect the temp sensor from pack on rear of head, if it runs ok its shorted or bad....

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

OK, you know #3 is your problem, check the compression, if all cylinders are within 10% of each other. If so, squirt some fuel into #3 carb and see if it picks up. This will tell you if you have a fuel or compression problem. You can do this for free, always check the free stuff first.

hidef

Lieutenant

Did you actually check the spark with a spark tester. It should jump a 7/16 gap with a healthy snap if it does your stator, power pack and coils are fine. You have already checked the compression and that is good. The last thing to check would be fuel is the carb for cylinder number three delivering fuel. Use a spray bottle to squirt fuel down the throat and see if that make a difference. Did you try running the outboard with the temp sensor disconnected to see if that clears the problem? If it does then you have a bad temp sensor. I also asked if your horn beeps on start up if it doesn't you might have a bad horn which is masking the problem with the temp sensor. SLOW mode will make your outboard feel like it is on a REV limiter because it is that is how SLOW mode works.

djham

Recruit

Thanks everyone for your suggestions for fixing it....it ended up being the temp sensor. Replaced the sensor, took it out on the bay, and it's running like a brand new motor.