2005 15 hp Suzuki on a 1958 Alumacraft

leslielbk

Seaman
While I get my 1957 Johnson Javelin restored, I want to put this Suzuki on my 1958 15' Alumacraft. It's being sold by a nice little old lady for $1350 and it's nearly brand new. The boat has a steering wheel but the motor has a tiller (?) so the "good old boat boys" (sorry if that offends anybody) told me it'd cost a fortune to hook the motor up to the cables. Since I'm a girl and don't know beans about this stuff I'm consulting you all. The peanut gallery is coming up with all kinds of comments: that boat guy is going to run right over there & buy that motor out from under you. He just wants you to keep your boat with him til he finds a motor to sell you himself, etc.
Is it a matter of new cables? Or does the motor have to come apart? Or are they really not compatible (like me & my ex-husband) and I should keep looking? I don't want to lose this motor if it really can work. Thanks!!!

lakensea

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 2005 15 hp Suzuki on a 1958 Alumacraft

About $900 for the parts plus another $1,000 if you need the electric start kit plus labor to remove the tiller handle and install the remote control conversion parts.

leslielbk

Seaman
Re: 2005 15 hp Suzuki on a 1958 Alumacraft

Thank you so much for the advice. It would've cost way more than I can afford. I'll just wait fOr an electric start motor to turn up.