1965 merc 1000

country moose

Recruit
hello all i have a 1965 merc that i put new plugs in and when i removed plug 1 it was smashed so i put new plugs in all 6 and was running ok fixed a couple wires and seemed better. took to local fishing hole and started it and it sounded like someone throw a screw driver in the engine and then turned it off anf started again and ran fine. so i bring it home and put the clamp to clean motor and started it and it was runnin fine then all of a sudden that noice again and then nothing. i tried starting it and it makes the sound to start for maybe half a sec then nothing. took off top cover of engine and was able to manually turn the crank shaft. what happened please help thanks eddy

nwcove

Admiral
Re: 1965 merc 1000

if your pistons are hitting your plugs, either your plugs are too long....wrong plugs, or you have much bigger problems. how bad was the plug smashed?

country moose

Recruit

it was not to bad it pushed the top in to the electric trode and it has only done it to piston number one and i figred out not 5 min ago on y i thing the motor stopped. i took off the top cover which has the pull start up there and was able to turn the motor over by hand. so i put the plugs back in and it crancked just fine with out the pull star on, put new plug in number one also. then i reattached the top cover and it stoped again had to turn key like 6 times to make it crank again cause it was stuck, but once it moved it keep on movin tilit jamed up again so tomorrow when i have help i will check that . as for the plugs i am usein, they are what came in the motor when i got it and they are acdelco r45. are thse the right plug? eddy

bktheking

Vice Admiral

If the plugs were too long all the plugs would be destroyed, sounds like a bad con rod bearing. Invesitgate it before you detrroy the entire engine, stop cranking it - determine if there is play by using a wooden dowel.