2001 Sugar Sand Tango - Blown Motor

Mainiac Boater

Seaman Apprentice
I bought a 2001 Tango with a 2005 175 Merc sportjet late last summer. I probably used it for a total of 30 hours. I know the people I bought it from and since the 2005 engine was installed (due to a failure caused by a known issue, i.e. costs covered) it was used very little.

I had the boat on the water this week and motor self destructed. I believe it threw a rod and it knocked a hole in the block by the crankshaft. No warning beeps at all. Not sure what caused it. Very frustrating.

My question is, do I just cut all my losses and sell it for whatever I can get - most likely somebody looking for a nice galvanized trailer, or are there any possibilities or market for parting it out. I'm thinking the former. I breifly looked at refurbished powerheads and the costs make no economic sense.

Any advice is appreciated.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Re: 2001 Sugar Sand Tango - Blown Motor

Tough spot to be in... The one drawback of that boat is that repowering is TOUGH. If you find a good marine mechanic, any 2.5liter mercury v6 block will bolt up to the pump, but the crank MAY be different lengths. (meaning you may have to re-use your crank, if its still good at least...)

(I've got a 2001 175hp tango also!)

Mainiac Boater

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 2001 Sugar Sand Tango - Blown Motor

Repowering is only an option if the economics work because I would sell it vs. using it. That boat has been through 2 Merc motors (supposedly bulletproof) and I'm confident they did not expire from a lack of maintenance. I don't trust it. With the cash it would take to repower combined with what I already have into it, I'm thinking selling for whatever I can get now may be the best choice.

This is a tough pill to swallow. I was so looking forward to a summer full of boating.