leaky livewell

LnCoyote

Cadet
Hello fellow boaters,

I have a 2010 Tahoe 215cc. It is currently still under warranty. I have taken it to the dealer a few times regarding the livewell that is located in the bow between the two passenger seats. At first there was a problem with the live well leaking directly into the boat. It appeared to be coming from the pump that is located directly underneath the live well. Whenever I would fill it up, even half way, I could open the ski hatch and observe the water dripping at somewhat of a steady stream from what looked like the pump or the pump fittings. The dealer did correct that issue by replacing the pump.

Now the live well leaks/drains directly into the lake via the drain hole on the port side of the boat whenever I put water into the live well. The dealer told me that it is normal for their to be a slow leak, but it just doesn't seem right to me. I can fill up the live well 3 quarters of the way, put my baitfish in and take off down the lake. 5 minutes later I check the live well and almost all the water has drained out and the baitfish are floppin around. I again took my boat back to the dealer and they can prove to me by filling it up that it does not leak out when sitting in the parking lot/service bay. I then explained to them that it does leak when the boat is on plane/underway and I also have video of it leaking when I am just sitting there in the water.

The live well on my boat has two pumps. One pump to pump water in and one to pump water out. It does not have any kind of plug or long pipe to plug up the whole in the bottom of the live well. I even asked the dealer if there is one that could be ordered and they explained that there is not a plug/pipe made for this model. It just doesn't make sense to me that it should leak at all. Isn't there supposed to be some kind of stop valve to prevent water from draining out once it is pumped in?

I am beginning to get a little frustrated with the service team. I could sure use a little ammunition/advice to take with me when I return to the dealer on July 6th.

Any advice or suggestions is greatly appreciated.:)

Thank you for your time.

Coyote

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander
Re: leaky livewell

My live well has an overflow drain, as well as the pipe to plug the drain in the bottom. It can?t over flow even if I leave the pump on, but a leaking live well makes little sense to me, especially if you are losing that much water. I could see some water loss in rough seas, but it sounds like they are making excuses, unless I am missing something. I have a timer on mine that turns on every 5 minutes to keep bait in new clean water, and any extra just drains out the overflow drain.

I would take it back and have them better explain what they are talking about.