CQ Field Day CQ Field Day

Splat

Lieutenant
Calling all hams, smoked or otherwise..

Just a couple days till field day. Just wondering if anyone else will be venturing out for a marathon of QSO's...

Personally I'll be jumping around quite a bit from site to site. Many local clubs I want to go check out. I have a very large club in the area LEARA that will be transmitting from the shore of Lake Erie, might be a good excuse to take the boat out for a few hours, then come back in to cookout and do a little contesting.

The one I'm really excited about is I was invited to TX from the USS Cod located downtown Cleveland. That's gonna be so cool.
http://www.usscod.org/

Anyways it'll be my first field day and I'm pretty excited. Maybe I can catch some of you on the air. I'll keep my ears open.

Bill
KD8QAE EN91

soggy_feet

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: CQ Field Day CQ Field Day

NO CLUE what you're talking about...

jrs_diesel

Chief Petty Officer

-.- ..... -.. - .-.

I'm a ham too, but I don't have much in the way of equipment for now, unless you count a QRP rig that I built for 40 meter.

Splat

Lieutenant

NO CLUE what you're talking about...

I left it pretty broad knowing only another Amateur radio operator would know what I was talking about. It's the largest Amateur radio event of the year. Thousands of stations across the world will be operating for a 24hr period, making contacts with complete strangers using all types of modes from CW(morse code) Phone(regular talking), or digital(converting type from your keyboard to a signal, and broadcasting it over the airwaves)

If you have any interest in amateur radio this would be the weekend to check out a local club. Most locations will be running a GOTA station. Get On The Air stations allow anyone to walk up and make contacts. Amateurs operating these stations will walk you through everything you need to know to make your first contact. No previous experience required.

I know we have many operators that are active on these forums..

Bill

soggy_feet

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Heh, well, I just finally got a VHF for the boat. Im gonna spend a little time just listening on that until I get a feel for how it operates around here.

Anyway, Im not much of a talker. Beyond, "where are you from" and "whats your weather like?" I don't know what I'd really be able to chat about.

How do your conversations normally go?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I prefer to dial random tele numbers.

Splat

Lieutenant

Heh, well, I just finally got a VHF for the boat. Im gonna spend a little time just listening on that until I get a feel for how it operates around here.

Anyway, Im not much of a talker. Beyond, "where are you from" and "whats your weather like?" I don't know what I'd really be able to chat about.

How do your conversations normally go?

LOL well that's usually a pretty good way to get a conversation going. Some contacts are just that short, a Hello and how are you. Some are longer and go until the band closes. I've talked to people from all over the world and talked about everything from the weather, to guns, boats, what kinds of things they do for fun, customs and culture differences, gotten help with computer problems, rag chewed about not making enough money, and almost everyone complains about their XYL(wife/significant other), I've ran in to guys with all sorts of interests from musicians, to gardeners, to guys that build guns. I even met a guy once that used to make pens. He would turn them on a lathe out of some exotic wood. it was neat to learn about it. Trust me there's always something to talk about, just don't be shy.

In ham radio the sky is the limit. Literally. The thing to remember is were all out there cause we like to talk. I was told once by a older ham if the conversation starts to die, ask the other person to describe what they see out the window. It'll give you a good starting point, and somewhere you'll find a point to branch that conversation off in another more interestring direction.