What prop to get

ninnydoo

Cadet
Hello,
I just bought a 1986 19' Sport Craft with an OMC Cobra 140HP 3.0L motor in it. The current prop is a 14 13. I'm very new to this whole subject but my knowledge of snowmobiles has assisted me somewhat. The boat when run at full throttle (which i dont do much due to the rpm's it will run) will operate around 6000 or bury the tach. It's ment to run around 4800-50000 from what im told. So i know i need a new prop on it. The guy before me took TONS of short cuts.
So i started looking for props. I figured saw props such as 13 3/4 17 and 13 1/4 15 but im unsure what to get. I dont know if the 17 would be to sluggish or not. Right now the boat yanks out of the water real quick but barely moves. I usually ride with one other person.
Second question, once i pick the size which shouldne be too bad, what will i need to do to make sure it fits my boat. I have seen some sites state that i need some adapter where others dont im very confused.
Thanks for any help.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: What prop to get

I have a feeling he didn't want to give up his good prop.
With a healthy motor and two folks for cruising and such a 19" pitch should be fine.
There are props that use a seperate hub at this point don't bother with them.
A prop intended for your boat should fit. There is probably a thrust washer under your prop and it may stick to the prop when you remove it.The omc probably uses a locking washer and nut it wouldn't hurt to order new.Unfortunately I'm not familiar with the details of the omc prop nut/lock system others should be along with more experience with them.Your old prop shoulds slide right off with little effort.Apply a little grease to the prop shaft before installing the new prop.

ninnydoo

Cadet

Awesome,
That is mainly what i needed to know. Thanks for the reply :)

ninnydoo

Cadet

Awesome,
That is mainly what i needed to know. Thanks for the reply :)

i told the last person with a pitch question to check out www.piranhapropellers.com because i just recently also bought a boat, fourwinns, and i had zero idea of what to do and just looked up info on here and a few other websites, but found that piranha was the most helpful. its just a thought.