do I need to add another cross member and roller?? Move the boat back??

tfmech

Seaman
I have a 1979 Ranger 15.5 foot bass boat that I just aquired. It is on a e-z rider trailer that is fully adjustable. It has two 2x4 carpeted bunks and four keel rollers. I went to replace the bunks as they were pretty much toasted. When I noticied that some of the mounted for the bunks had moved and some of the keel roller mounts had moved. This is when I set out to find out how to fix the problems.
There is one roller welded to the back of the trailer that keeps the boat from hitting the rear of the trailer. The next roller is at the next cross member about where the trailer wheels are then there is one about 3 feet in front of that then one last one about three feet further up. Here is where my question comes in when the boat is sitting on the trailer the bottom of the boat which is stepped in about one foot from the transom sits on the bunks about a foot and half from the back of the trailer and the back bunk support. The next bunk support is about where the trailer wheels are and the second keel roller is (meaning the first keel roller that supports the boat when it is on the trailer). With this setup most of weight of the boat sitting on the bunks right inbetween the two back bunk supports and behind the second roller from the back. This inturn bows the bunks right were the bottom of the step in the transom sits. After beating down the road it warps them making the boat a sucker to unload and load if the ramp is funky.
My thoughts on fixing this promblem are one move the boat back about a foot and half so it sits on the first roller on the trailer also putting the back of the bottom of the boat right on top of the first bunk support. This being at the risk of altering the tounge weight since the wheels are all the way in the back position already.

My second fix is to add a cross member with another bunk support and keel roller a couple inches in from the bottom of the transom step.

What do you guys think????

Sorry for the long post thanks for the help in advance.

Thanks,
Kris

04fxdwgi

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: do I need to add another cross member and roller?? Move the boat back??

I would suspect you need to support the keel at the transom, as there is a ton of weight there with the engine hanging on. That support would help prevent engine from flexing everything on the bumps. That being said, the boat needs to be set on trailer so that you have around 5% - 10% load on trailer tongue to keep it from swaying. Just moving boat back cures one problem, but creates another BIG one by taking weight off tongue. I would check the tongue weight, and if it is right now, add another roller to support the keel at the transom.

I would opt for your 2nd fix. I did that on an older trailer I had a while ago that was actually too big for the boat.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Re: do I need to add another cross member and roller?? Move the boat back??

Sorry but your post is a bit confusing but here is mt take on it.

If the tongue weight is correct you should be able to work it out. 1st off I'm not following what you describe as a stepped hull or just how it is incorperated. Sounds like there wont be much you can do to the rollers other than to make sure they turn and are in contact with the keel. The bunks do not need to extend any more than an inch or so past the transom. Look to see if there is a place to relocate them so that they are making full contact with the bottom of the boat. Moved in to the center, moved out from center.

Everyone always says this but at this time it fits. Posting some pictures would surely help understand the setup!