Too much strain?

GMC2003

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Okay, here's the story, I like watersports, (wakeboarding, skiing, kneeboarding, wakesurfing) normally we have 4 or more people on the boat which throws a fairly large solid wake. I would like to go out more often even if a few friends can't go, say three (which would make two on the boat, one being towed). Here is what I really want to know, is trimming all the way up going to help make a bigger wake, and if so, will it put too much strain on the hull or stringers? I know this may be a stupid question, just looking for opinions.

1976 OMC 190hp Stringer electric shift

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: Too much strain?

is trimming all the way up going to help make a bigger wake, and if so, will it put too much strain on the hull or stringers? I know this may be a stupid question, just looking for opinions.
It's not really a "stupid" question..........It WILL be "stupid" if you try to run the drive trimmed "all the way up".............If you do, you run the risk of SEVERE damage to the U-joints, and transom mount.

Your owners manual or (if you have one) service manual will tell you how far UP/OUT you can run the trim for normal operation.....

Regards,

Rick

Hmmmm...STRINGER.......I donno.........I don't think it would be good to do it. Someone else will have to opine on that one!!!!

sw33ttooth

Chief Petty Officer

i think its fine to trim up the only thing being that you may ventalate on tight turns and lose a little power on the take offs. i think those are the 2 reasons for keeping the trim all the way down, lets face it if you trim up to cruise with 4-5 people on board, then i dont get how it would cause any more stress to ski or wakeboard.

another question, why is this under "omc i/o & engines & outdrives"? a mod should move this to a differnt location unless ofcourse your running the "stringer" oudrive then i am 99% sure that you can only run that all the way down.

GMC2003

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am running a stringer outdrive, couldn't figure which other forum to put it in. It has selectrim if that helps, I could not tilt the drive up all the way, my ball gears wouldn't like that too much.

GMC2003

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Okay, guess I could have put it in non repair. The reason I put it here is because the stringer drives are unique in that no load is put on the transom, it is all through the stringers. I don't figure too many people would know about this in the non repair section, who knows, I could be wrong, I make mistakes. If it needs to be moved, please don't hesitate to do so. Thanks

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

It, of course, would not "hurt" the transom. You would put a fair amount of strain on the ball-gears in areas they usually do not operate......That would probably wear them out a little quicker than "normal".....

The other problem will obviously be the trim mechanism. I cannot speak to what sort of strain that would have to absorb....

I am pretty sure that OMC has an upper limit on how "high" you can run a Stringer.

Bondo

Staff member

Okay, guess I could have put it in non repair. The reason I put it here is because the stringer drives are unique in that no load is put on the transom, it is all through the stringers. I don't figure too many people would know about this in the non repair section, who knows, I could be wrong, I make mistakes. If it needs to be moved, please don't hesitate to do so. Thanks

Ayuh,... I think you can run the "Trim" all the way Up, Ok...
So long as the "Tilt" is run all the way down...

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Ayuh,... I think you can run the "Trim" all the way Up, Ok...
So long as the "Tilt" is run all the way down...

Trim and tilt are separate? That would make sense.

If I understand it correctly, when you "trim" a Stringer, you move the entire engine and drive combination.........?

CobiaXL

Banned

If the engine is running,the tilt gotta be down,unless your trying to navigate shallow water but even then use very little throttle.I would think leave trim down to get out of hole quicker and less likely to lose prop on sharp turns.Either way trim doesn't matter,its the tilt u need to be concerned with.

Bondo

Staff member

If I understand it correctly, when you "trim" a Stringer, you move the entire engine and drive combination.........?

Ayuh,... Most are hydraulically, some with screw-jacks...

I've got an old 351 with the Hyd. system out in the barn...:rolleyes:

CobiaXL

Banned

Yes trim moves the entire engine,intermediate and drive with a screw type jack mounted to front motor mounts.Only time we use tilt is to trailer or navigate shallow water.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

You can run with selectrim in any position you like - no issue as far as strain on the drive
of course the engine lugs with the bow buried, but you know that :)

Nver seen the hyd, system.I would'nt know,I aint that old... :)

The hyd system was used right until 1985 on the last of the stringers - 3.8 and 4.3 V6

GMC2003

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys, that's what I was looking for. I appreciate it:)