Alpha One tilt/trim problem

narmer2000

Seaman Apprentice
Greetings:

My Alpha One has a problem...when you push down on the switch, unit lowers as is should, but nothing happens when you try to raise up. Trailer button works fine. Replaced the solenoid with no luck. Any suggestions?

92 Cheetah 3.0 Mercruiser Alpha One

nikon

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Alpha One tilt/trim problem

On the drive on either side there are sending units, one goes to your trim gauge. The other limits how far up the 'up' button works, that sender on yours has gone bad or the wire is disconnected...It's a typical problem and a PITA to fix (do it when you do your bellows)

http://www.sterndrives.com/replacing_trim_senders.html

narmer2000

Seaman Apprentice

Ok..so after I loosened up the two screws on the left side (looking at stern drive from behind) and turning the adjustment, the up button began to work. How do you set the proper angle?

Samjo

Cadet

Before you spend a lot of time adjusting...make sure you inspect the wiring going to the trim limit switch. Mine was deteriorated to the point of falling apart.

Don't tell anybody...but I bypassed the limit switch all together. My 30 year old boat probably has a couple of hundred yards of electrical wire in it, and the one place that is exposed to the water, they chose to use a freakin' lamp cord. :)

Pete104

Lieutenant

It's little more than "lamp cord" but point well taken. Have you tested the switch? What control box? 1 toggle up & down w/square trailer button.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Ok..so after I loosened up the two screws on the left side (looking at stern drive from behind) and turning the adjustment, the up button began to work. How do you set the proper angle?

It sounds like your trim limit switch is just a little corroded or dirty. It is just a contact that rotates across a copper strip. When the contact gets to the end of the strip contact is broken and the up trim stops. If it is working OK now, loosen the two screws and turn the switch all the way clockwise in the adjusting slots. Put the outdrive full down, then hit the trim up till it stops. Measure the distance center to center on the shafts holding the trim cylinders. The correct length is 21 3/4 inches. Turn the switch CCW until you achieve that measurement, then tighten er down. You can take the limit switch apart and clean it, but if it is working, just go with it. Good luck.

narmer2000

Seaman Apprentice

I'll give that a try tonight. Just curious...what does the switch on the starboard side do?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It's for a trim gauge.

Attachments

• Trim limit n switch install instructions.pdf
    252 KB · Views: 3

cruzin1a

Cadet

I am having the same trouble. I figured I would do it this fall when I remove the drive to do the bellows. However in light of these service documents I am going to look a little closer this weekend. Also I didn't see any docs to test the switch. I will look a little closer at the service manual.

narmer2000

Seaman Apprentice

I gotcha...my trim gauge is pointing at about a third of the way while the drive is fully up so heres where I would adjust that.

Thanks for the help. I will work on this too tonight.

narmer2000

Seaman Apprentice

Loosened up the screws on the starboard side and moved the sender clockwise and counter clockwise while the key was in the on position and the gauge does not move at all....stuck about third of the way..maybe a new gauge is in order?

nikon

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Put an ohm meter on your trim gauge and move the trim sender, if the resistance changes then yes, you need a new gauge. (currently in the same position) Rather wait and get all new gauges though.

cruzin1a

Cadet

I inspected mine closer and the wires are completely deteriorated on both sides. I don't feel like removing the drive and bell housing in the middle of the summer. Even though my drive was removed prior to this season and would come off prolly quite easy. I am worried about the bell housing.

May I ask what you mean by bypassing the limit switch?

Before you spend a lot of time adjusting...make sure you inspect the wiring going to the trim limit switch. Mine was deteriorated to the point of falling apart.

Don't tell anybody...but I bypassed the limit switch all together. My 30 year old boat probably has a couple of hundred yards of electrical wire in it, and the one place that is exposed to the water, they chose to use a freakin' lamp cord. :)

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

May I ask what you mean by bypassing the limit switch?

If you go to the back of the boat near the transom (probably port side) you will see the two black wires from the limit switch, one goes into a connector with a purple/white wire, the other into a connector with two blue/white wires. If you pull the black wires out and use a short wire to jumper between the two connectors you will have bypassed the trim limit switch. The trim will now work same as the trailer switch, so be careful not to run it up too high when underway. Handy thing to know if it stops working again.