Engine running rough/cutting out

ninnydoo

Cadet
Hello,
First off I would like to start off by saying this is my first time using the site. I have looked at some of the previous posts and have liked what I have seen. Seems like there is a decent knowledge base in these forums. I am a huge fan of dootalk and am on it nonstop. I?m hoping this will be my summer time addiction forum 
I just bought my first boat. So I?m not very familiar with the boating world. Give me a snowmobile and I can rebuild/fix anything but im clueless on these boats.
The boat I have is a 1986 19? sport craft fiberglass. It has a OMC Cobra 3.0L 140HP engine model number 302AMKW. It has points (which is another area i lack understanding in).
The issue I am having is this.
Sometimes it runs super smooth and other times it constantly is cutting out (mainly at higher RPM?s). As far as gas goes, it did have old gas in it but I have sense ran 3 tanks through it and have added stabilizer to it each time. I had a shop do a tune up on it (so I don?t know exactly what they have done I think plugs points and oil changes).
I think I have narrowed it down some though. When I don?t use my lights/fishfinder/radio the boat seems to run good. When I run these devices it seems to start to run like crap shortly after. I thought it was the battery so I bought a new battery. This didn?t help at all. Same exact situation. I thought that maybe it was a fuel venting issue so as a quick test I would keep the fuel fill cap off and run it. Same situation. I?m starting to wonder if it is my alternator or stator. As far as I know neither of these have been replaced. Another thing I have noticed is that when I am lifting up the motor or lowering it while the boat is running it really makes it run bad. Like it has caused the boat to stall on occasion. Any suggestions are welcome.
I realize the boat is old but it?s in really good shape and I don?t mind putting a little money/time into it. Thanks for any and all help 

CobiaXL

Banned
Re: Engine running rough/cutting out

Get your digital meter out and start testing each plug in the boat wiring harness one by one...I've seen bad pins in wiring harness plugs many times.Sounds electric for sure.Check voltage at coil when its cutting out.Also use wire brush to cleans all terminals,including the solenoids for starter and trim.

ninnydoo

Cadet

Ok, Thanks for the reply. How would you check the coil when its cutting out normally well above idle and only happens on occasion?
Thanks again

CobiaXL

Banned

Id check wiring harness and clean ALL connections first.