1996 Johnson FastStrike Tilt works trim doesnt NOT RELAY PROBLEM

austin11

Recruit
My Tilt on the motor and on the handle is working fine, but my trim has been going in and out. Has gotten worse and yesterday I had to lift the motor up by hand by releasing the screw. I know for a fact its not the relays because I have switched them. The trim will not work on the handle or on the side of the motor. Where should I start looking. Any help would be great.

Will Bark

Lieutenant
Re: 1996 Johnson FastStrike Tilt works trim doesnt NOT RELAY PROBLEM

Begin by checking the fluid to see if it is full. Raise motor all the way up and open the fluid resivoir fill till overflow; try cycling the t/t several times and check fluid level; fill it up again if needed and keep doing it till it works and won't take anymore fluid. Hope this what your prob is.

austin11

Recruit

Thanks Allot. Where is the Resivior located and what fluid do I put in there??? Would this explain why it would go down and not up??

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

from behind the motor the resevior in on the starboard side..it is a plastic housing with a cap facing out towards you...you need a screw driver to open it usually, even though the cap maybe serrated... you also need to tighten it good when done filling...use a broad flat tip screw driver...so you dont strip the slot...there is an o ring on the cap....

power steering fluid is ok, I am pretty sure....synthetic is best...

PS i am pretty sure the relays are for UP and DOWN, not one for tilt, and one for trim!!!

bob

cfauvel

Chief Petty Officer

from behind the motor the resevior in on the starboard side..it is a plastic housing with a cap facing out towards you...you need a screw driver to open it usually, even though the cap maybe serrated... you also need to tighten it good when done filling...use a broad flat tip screw driver...so you dont strip the slot...there is an o ring on the cap....

power steering fluid is ok, I am pretty sure....synthetic is best...

PS i am pretty sure the relays are for UP and DOWN, not one for tilt, and one for trim!!!

bob

I concurr, the relays are for Up and Down period. I had some weird things happening with my tilt/trim (going up when it wanted to , not when I wanted it to), utlimately it was the corroded blades at the connection between the tilt motor and the wire harness within the engine cowl. So unplug the blades and clean them up well.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Can you hear the t/t mtr run when this prob happens ?? The corroded blades also sounds as a good prob area.