1988 Merc 100 removal of the 2+2 system, lower carb swap

jjlove68

Cadet
I've searching around to see if anybody has done this. I am a tweaker/tinkerer at heart. Not vehicle I have ever owned stayed OEM for very long. Naturally this trend will carry over to my first boat. I am thinking about attempting to swap the two lower carbs with another set of upper carbs so all four carbs will have an idle circuit and the engine will always be running on all four cylinders. I don't like how there is this immediate jump in engine power at part throttle. In my little SeaRay I am either idling or on step at speeds that are sometimes fast than I want to be going and there is very little in between. I would also tend to believe that if I am always running on all cylinders the engine would run smoother at idle and may even start easier when cold. Obviously I am well aware that the engine was not designed to run on all four cylinders at idle so if this has been done by some boat racers or general tinkerers there should be some good info out there on the nuances that follow after doing this kind of modification. Alas... I have found nothing. Google has let me down and searching key words that I think would get some results on here hasn't helped. Does anybody have any info on this? I invision modifications need to be done to throttle linkages. Idle circuit air flow may be too high and the engine may not idle low enough after the swap. There may be a problem with poor lubration and/or reed valve issues. The possibilites go on and on.

Thanks in advance for any insight.