Advice for a practical inflatable.

fender230

Cadet
New to the board, looking for some help if possible.

I am looking to get my first boat and spacial limitations are dictating that I will be getting an inflatable. Essentially I am looking for an SIB that I can deflate and put in the trunk of my '98 RAV4 and use in Boston Harbor for fishing and island hopping on reasonably nice days. Typically I would have myself and another person on-board for fishing, but at some point we will need to take the girls out to an island for camping or swimming. I was looking at some of the larger boats from Saturn and Coastal inflatables, around 15' or so. Most people say that they should be kept on a trailer, why? Is it that it just takes a really long time to inflate or are these large boats unwieldy when flat? Are they prone to tearing when deflated because they are heavy and have a large surface area?

Any tips or advice you can give me would be amazing. I am very new at this, but very excited to get out on the water.

Hammer66

Cadet
Re: Advice for a practical inflatable.

Hi Fender!

I am also new to SIB's. I purchased a 12.5 foot with a wood floor back in March. I also purchased a transom wheel kit as well figuring it would make launching without a trailer easy. On my maiden voyage I had a flat transom wheel upon initial assembly. The tube was shot so filling it with air was not an option. It took 4 of us to walk the boat from the parking lot to the ramp. (There was no spot next to the ramp to assemble without tying up the ramp.) We carried it about 40 yards. Fully assembled the boat weighs about 180 pounds. It was all I, my wife, my father and my 11 year old daughter could handle. On our next outting I had functioning transom wheels. This made life much easier for my wife and I to launch but still the boat is quite heavy again we were unable to park next to the ramp for setup and had to roll the boat about 50 yards. I decided a trailer is in order. I also must caution you that my 12.5 footer fills up the back of my extended Trailblazer even with the 3rd row seats folded down. I used a hitch mounted cargo carrier to transport the 18 hp engine and fuel tank. Between the floor boards, boat, pumps oars cooler life vests and other needed items fitting luggage inside for a vacation is not going to happen. I picked up a decent trailer and customized it for the boat. Even though we haven't launched it from the water I can already see this will make life much easier. Especially when I head to the beach and use it everyday for a week. Although assembling and tear down is simple it is still work. Especially at the end of the day when you have been out in the water and sun for several hours. Set up and inflation times takes about 15 minutes and tear down takes just a bit longer due to drying everything off. ( I don't want to store a damp boat in a bag).
I will say that a SIB is a blast out on the water. They are as much fun as everyone here says they are. They handle well and are extremely stabile. Since I am also new to SIB's it has been a learning experience for me too. What works for me may not work for you. If weight is an issue you may want to consider a shorter boat with a high pressure floor. They are lighter and may pack easier. Best wishes in your decision.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Go for at least a 13" mt sib excellent & roomy for two + gear or 4 with minimum gear, if going with the girls (how many are they) + camping gear, go for a 14", a 15" is too large and bulky. Takes it's time to inflate/clean and deflate. If having room for a shaded trailer go for the Saturn 14 sib and at least a 30 HP engine, will serve your boating purposes well.

Happy Boating

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Bigger, portable inflatables are difficult to move around and assemble. Unless you have a specific need for one in that size range and do not have outside storage(on a trailer) available, it would be a less than optimal choice. They are not likely to be damaged either deflated or deflated. Also, no one calls calls them SIBs(soft inflatable bottom) in this country. That is a Euro trash term that is not used except by the English and green horns:) No harm in it, it's just that if you use it no one will no what you are referring to. Inflatable bottom boats are known as inflatables and rigid hull inflatables are known as Ribs.

fender230

Cadet

I should also mention that I am an apartment dweller in Boston. I have a small yard where I can store the motor and gas tank, but am a foot short for getting any sort of trailer in there without angering the neighbor. The boat will be stored, deflated, in the basement.

The maximum amount of people on the boat will be 4 adults. I am a bit large so let's say 4.5.

I was figuring on a setup time of around a 1/2 hr to 45 minutes. 15 minutes isn't so bad.

The advice is good so far. Thank you to everyone that has responded.

BonairII

Commander

I'm new myself, but I'll chip in my 2 cents. Get the largest boat you can afford (12-14ft)...even the larger boats roll up into a pretty compact space and are more stable in rough waters. Launch wheels are a must IMO. Being able to self launch your fully loaded(including motor) is a godsend. Also, invest in a high pressure electric pump w/ pressure gauge that will do all the inflating for you.

I have a 10 ft Quicksilver and like it a lot, but space is at a premium even for 2 people/gear. Eventually, I'm going to upgrade to a 12-14 footer.

likalar

Petty Officer 1st Class

You're getting good advice here. Also, have you thought of renting an off-site, secure storage space that will allow the boat to be stored inflated (standing/leaning against a wall, covered with tarp)? There are semi-custom roll-on racks that may be suitable to help you push the inflated boat onto/off of your car roof. Back down onto the ramp and roll it off. Just a thought....
Here's a commercially available idea that may spark some ideas:

http://www.orsracksdirect.com/yakima-showboat-roof-rack-rollers-8004040.html

Larry

k-rok

Cadet

i have a Intex Seahawk II, great for 2 people fishing or one adult and 2 kids plus some gear. i use a 2.0 honda (i'm seen them with 3.5 motors on them). there coast guard approved and i use mine in the north atlantic (nova scotia) for fishing mackerel.
i know it's tough because i drag it through the new harbour barrens (otherwise known as the gateway to hell, as far as trout fishing goes) and no leaks. the way i role it gives me these dimensions - 5' length, 1' height, 1' width. should fit easily in the back.
i should add that i purchased a coleman rechargeable pump for $29 and will inflate the boat in about 3-4 minutes and deflate it in about 1 minuite, flat as a pancake (just unscrew the boston valves and let the majority of air out for about 2 minutes). on one charge it will inflate and deflate the boat 3 times.
BTW congratulations to the Bruins! i'm a Flyer fan but i was glad to see Tim win it all.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Nothing against Sevylor, Intex and other brands, those are cheap entry level inflatable toys , motor mounts will only accept very low end engines and rear sib do rock, not family oriented as any standard pvc fabric sib with build in transom.

Happy Boating

riverandocean

Seaman Apprentice

As the owner of a 14 foot inflatable and 30 hp motor..... yes it is unwieldy to assemble and take apart on a regular basis. I do it a few times per year, but trailer it most of the time.

Camping by boat with a family of 4, fishing etc..... love the 30 hp motor but it is not portable!

When I am on the ocean and the weather gets rough I wish I had a bigger boat..... always there are trade offs.

MEK

Seaman Apprentice

Great advice here, everyone has a slightly different take, here's my opinion for portability. Get the largest airfloor model you can find. I've had a few different models now and I sure miss the ease of assembly of my airfloor model. I like my 14 foot for taking the whole family and the 30hp rocks but its all I can do to lift the thing and I'm a very big guy (that's getting older). I really liked rolling up my air floor boat, throwing a tie down strap around it and chucking it in the back of my truck (100lbs). My 14 foot weighs 225lbs (brochure) and my outboard 150+(estimate) so I trailer. My friend is in the same situation, wants something manageable. This was my suggestion.

Boat: Saturn SD 365, inexpensive, light weight (under 120lbs), largest air floor I've seen (at this weight), high HP rating.
Motor: 20 HP Honda Short shaft. (105lbs, very light for a 4 stroke)
Launch wheels: Beachmaster http://www.beachmaster.co.nz/ Expensive, but I see the benefits of this model over the standard kind I've always used. Not the best for fully compact rolling though.

partskenn

Petty Officer 1st Class

I replaced my old Zodiac wood floor with a new Achilles air floor this year. The airfloor is so much more convenient to assemble and disassemble. So far, I am very happy with the airfloor, it is nice and secure to stand on, and packs a lot smaller than those wood sections on my old one.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

If wanting portability losing some floor rigidity compared to a wooden or alum floor, but at a much faster sib assemble, disassemble rate, any air mat sib is a great alternative to have in mind. Just pump air mat to their working factory recommended presure and out you go...

Happy Boating