How much power?

Princ40

Cadet
I have a 1976 starcraft ss supersport 16ft. I bought it last summer for $1500. I ran it last summer on a 1974 Johnson 70hp. The motor had issues when I bought it. Now when I took it in to have it looked at the guy wrote on my reciept "Not Worth Fixing". Low compression in the cylinders and the lower unit was replaced with a newer year so the throttle is backwards.

Here is my question.... What is the lowest hp motor I could go with? I am only using it for fishing on inland Michigan lakes.

I don't have a ton of money to sink into a motor.

I think this question qualifies as a non-repair discussion??

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: How much power?

Well darn near anything will push a 16' aluminum Starcraft. However I don't think you'll be real happy with anything less than a 50. If your 70 was a '78 or newer I'd probably go with a rebuilt powerhead but being a '74 I'd part it out.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

So how did the boat perform with the "tired" engine? A properly running 75 HP two stroke will very likely work ok if you were even somewhat satisfied before. Generally however, 70 - 75 HP should be fine on that boat. I can assure you dropping back to a good running 50 HP motor will likely perform about the same as a tired 70. If there is a maximum HP tag on the boat, then the rule of thumb for acceptable performance is 70 - 75% of the maximum rated HP. If the boat is rated for a 90 HP max then 65 - 75 HP would provide acceptable performance.

hidef

Lieutenant

Depends on a number of factors how much does the boat weigh, how fast do you want to go and how much do you want to spend. I would think that a 50 or 55 would pretty good choice. I wouldn't want to go smaller than a 40 horse and whatever you buy should bolt on to the transom because of the holes that are there from the 70.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

assuming it's aluminum--we had 2 growing up with 55's and they were fine for all use. Regardless of your limited use, you want to be able to get on a plane, so (guessing) not less than 35.

A guy near me has a 9.9 on an old 16' bow rider. the boat is a wreck. But he only uses it to dinghy out to a moored sailboat. Great idea, though: a free boat with lots of room for gear and a cheap motor, instead of an expensive inflatable or skiff.

Princ40

Cadet

Went with a 1992 mercury classic 40hp. Pick it up Friday.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

I had a 1977 16SS about 20 years ago. Before I picked up my Johnson 75 for it, I ran the only long shaft motor I had - a 1957 Evinrude Lark 35. It actually performed quite well - even with a couple people onboard, it would plane off easily and probably did 25 mph or so.

Your newer 40 Merc should do quite well. Prop it accordingly...

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

I'd be looking for a good used 50-75 hp two stroke motor. With BoatTrader.com and Craigslist.com, they're relatively easy to find.