Auto parts for the boat

Paraflier

Cadet
I am having no spark at my plugs at my 120 HP OMC outdrive 4 cylinder. So I have decided to throw on new plugs, wires, cap and rotor.

My question is this.... Can I use a part from the auto store? Not have to go to a Marine Center and get triple the price? Looks like a small block Chevy in there. Just say I have a '77 Nova?

Or is this going to make the universe collapse? :rolleyes:

superbenk

Commander
Re: Auto parts for the boat

Not sure if the cap needs to be marine or not. Marine distributor caps may be sealed against releasing sparks. The other parts you listed should be fine either way though automotive plugs may have a tendency to corrode more than marine ones.

You should check your points & condenser too if you don't have spark. May want to consider replacing those as well.

Bondo

Staff member

I am having no spark at my plugs at my 120 HP OMC outdrive 4 cylinder. So I have decided to throw on new plugs, wires, cap and rotor.

My question is this.... Can I use a part from the auto store? Not have to go to a Marine Center and get triple the price? Looks like a small block Chevy in there. Just say I have a '77 Nova?

Or is this going to make the universe collapse? :rolleyes:

Ayuh,... If ya wanta buy parts that Don't fit,...
Sure, Go ahead....

A 77 Nova didn't use that motor....
And,...
Chevy never used a Marine distributer in Any of their Cars...

Bhaag05

Cadet

Save yourself time and frustration. You might be able to get the parts you want at www.westmarine.com. I did the same thing tried ford mustang 302 parts on my OMC 175. the parts didn't work, the points for the mustang were totally different.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

What's the deal Bhaag, you come to this site for free information, then send other members to other sites to buy parts.
You do understand that iboats sells parts don't you, and they pay for this free site for you to visit.

sw33ttooth

Chief Petty Officer

got a "car quest"? thats who i use, i walk in say i got a '91 omc with a 351 ford he pulls out his booklet tell him what i need. dist cap needs to be marine grade with its spark issue. plugs wires and ect doesnt matter, their are marine plugs designed not to rust or some odd thing but cheap autolites work just as good.

'77 nova really? you think your boat is closer to a 77 nova with a 350 v8? i'd think your closer to a vw bug with that 4 cyl. not trying to hurt your feelings.

sorry don s. not trying to ship people away from iboats [with my car quest statment] i got an order in for some led lights right now waiting on shipping iboats was cheapest.

Nickdogg

Seaman

Iboats have the cheapest parts by far. Just shop around you will see.