question about replacing wood core

dvaid2526

Recruit
I cut the top skin off of my front deck today to fix a rotten core. I was surprised to find the original core was made of pieces of plywood about 4" x 6" Would it be better to replace this with a solid piece of plywood? or is there a reason it was built up with a bunch of little blocks?

b.t.w. the area is about 5' x 4'

thanks in advance,
Dave

BWT

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: question about replacing wood core

How much of an arch (or camber) is there to the deck; side to side? If there's a fair amount, I would guess that's why they used the smaller pieces (so it would conform easier). IMO solid is always better, but if there's quite a bit of camber to deal with, would be best to use solid sheets, but thinner and look at laminating 3+ layers to end up with the proper thickness.

dvaid2526

Recruit

I think the deck was flat, it is currently sagging a little but i figured this was from the damage.

BWT

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would use solid sheets and proceed as I outlined above. Make sure to use marine grade ply otherwise there will be quite a bit of time spent in the fairing process. Use epoxy for the laminations and poly for laying the glass on top (1.5oz csm; probably 2-3 layers.). Were you planning to re-use the old skin (non-skid)?

dvaid2526

Recruit

yes I am going to try to reuse the old skin but need to patch a 8"x12" hole someone had cut through the deck. (which is why the core rotted I think)

rickryder

Commander

What kind of boat are you working on? Some pics would help alot!