4 blade to 5 blade & pitch drop?

250Gimp

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all

I am hoping you can help me make some decisions about prop choice.

Current specs:

2006 Maxum 1800 SR3
Mercruiser 4.3l MPI, 220hp
Alpha 1 Gen II, 1:81 gear ratio
Mercury Bravo 1 prop, 48-831912 24P, 4 blade stainless (I don't know what all the numbers mean except the 24 pitch)
Max RPM = 4450 rpm @ 52 mph (on boat speedo)

The problem is it is slow out of the hole when pulling up a slalom skier, and the skier gets dragged a bit before coming out. I also have a lot of bow rise, even when not towing someone.

I have smart tabs, but have not installed them yet.

I have done some diggin on the net, and it sounds like going to a 5 blade lower pitch prop may help.

I saw a recomendation for a High 5, 21p for my boat/engine combo.

My question is, does this make sense for what I am trying to obtain? I don't mind loosing a few mph if the hole shot is improved a fair bit.

I have found a 23p High 5 used in my area, and am wondering if that will give me enough oomph just dropping 1" in pitch?

Thanks a lot for the help!

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 4 blade to 5 blade & pitch drop?

I would install the trim tabs before deciding on a prop. But the 24p does seem a little tall for that boat. The 21 would do you well but you may over rev on the topend.

250Gimp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the info 90stingray!

I have the tabs on.... Now to wait for the weekend to try them out!

Anyone else have any thoughts?

I have been in touch with someone with my same boat, but the carb 4.3, and he uses a 21p without any over rev problems.

Is the 220hp MPI going to be much difference from the carb version?

Thanks

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Hi all

I am hoping you can help me make some decisions about prop choice.

Current specs:

2006 Maxum 1800 SR3
Mercruiser 4.3l MPI, 220hp
Alpha 1 Gen II, 1:81 gear ratio
Mercury Bravo 1 prop, 48-831912 24P, 4 blade stainless (I don't know what all the numbers mean except the 24 pitch)
Max RPM = 4450 rpm @ 52 mph (on boat speedo)

The problem is it is slow out of the hole when pulling up a slalom skier, and the skier gets dragged a bit before coming out. I also have a lot of bow rise, even when not towing someone.

I have smart tabs, but have not installed them yet.

I have done some diggin on the net, and it sounds like going to a 5 blade lower pitch prop may help.

I saw a recomendation for a High 5, 21p for my boat/engine combo.

My question is, does this make sense for what I am trying to obtain? I don't mind loosing a few mph if the hole shot is improved a fair bit.

I have found a 23p High 5 used in my area, and am wondering if that will give me enough oomph just dropping 1" in pitch?

Thanks a lot for the help!

Your over propped....That 4500 is that with a empty boat or with people on board?

250Gimp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Tail Gunner

I know I am over propped. That rpm is with a lightish load, but 3/4 tank of fuel.

I am curious if I dropping to a 21p High 5 will make me way over rev, or if I will be at ~4800rpm, where I want to be for skiing.

Thanks

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

I havnt played with a high five so dunno..Sorry but a 21p Solas titan should allow you to pull arms right out of there sockets.....Thats really the way to go...Your really running a 24p 4 blade ss at 4500 rpm and its a bravo???

jkust

Rear Admiral

Also, pretty sure the 4.3 mpi doesn't have the 1:81 ratio. The 1.81 is for the Carb version. The MPI actually does make a respectable difference over the carb 4.3.

250Gimp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Tail Gunner.

Alpha 1 gen 2 drive, and the boat came to me with a Bravo 1 4 blade prop on it, exactly as noted in my original post. Acording to the original owner, the 4 blade was recomended and installed by the dealer that sold the boat to him. Once on plane she goes pretty good, but only pulling about 4500 rpm @ 52mph on the speedo.

jkust, the drive is stamped 1:81 for the ratio. What ratio were you thinking it would be? I don't imagine the difference between the carb & MPI would be enough to jstify a different drive ratio, more likely just a pitch change.

jkust

Rear Admiral

I've never seen a 4.3 mpi with anything but the 1.62 ratio. This is the first I've even heard of a 1.81 on that engine. Just searching a bit I see where the 1:81 is listed as the high altitude option for the MPI 4.3 for what it is worth.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

All your numbers seem to make sense...If it were my boat a Stilletto baypro 2 in a 22p would be the answer

250Gimp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Gunner....why the Stilletto vs. the high 5?

jkust, this is my first IO, so I don't have experience with other drives.

Thanks

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Money and benefit as well performance...The Baypro just does a better job in all aspects..And thats a opinion

250Gimp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Gunner

I'll look into the Baypro.

Cheers

SparkieBoat

Captain

trim tabs should solve your problem..but dropping 1-2 pitchs will keep you RPMs ok at WOT and boost your hole shot. you will most likely lose 2 or 3 MPH

sschefer

Rear Admiral

All your numbers seem to make sense...If it were my boat a Stilletto baypro 2 in a 22p would be the answer
Sounds like the right choice to me also. Plenty of stern lift with the Bay Pro.

250Gimp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Sparkie & sscheffer!

I think I will keep looking for a used 21 or 22p high five.

If I can test a 4 blade in that range I will, but my main thing I am after is towing, so I think teh High 5 will give me the best bite!

Cheers