1964 sea king

skruff33

Seaman
Hi i am wondering if anyone can help me with a 1964 sea king model #vwb19076 serial #46x11001 its a 8hp 4500rpm. I am not getting no spark at all i beleive its possibly the points or condensors.DOES THIS NEED a power pak, as i bought it not running and dont no anything about it.Also is there anyway to test the points and condensor i tested the ohms or resistance on the wire of the coil and came up with like 2.1 or somthing like that on both coils touched the points and ground got same #s condensors didnt read anything NOT SURE IM EVEN TESTING these rite. So any sites that will teach me or any1 willing to give info would be greatly appreciated. And if possible were to get the points condensores ils if needed Thanx A MILLION....:(

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1964 sea king

No power pack on that motor, it is strictly magneto ignition, very simple. 90% of the no-spark problems are dirty points. Take them apart and de-grease the if necessary, and polish each contact individually with some 400 grit wet-dry sandpaper, used dry. Wrap a piece of it around something thin like a hacksaw blade and use it like a file. When they are shiny bright and smooth, put everything back together and adjust the points gap to .020" at their widest opening. I'll bet you will get spark.

Your motor was made by Chrysler (Force). So think Chrysler / Force when looking for parts.

r223f4

Recruit

Any luck with your sea king? I have one just like yours and just finished cleaning out the water jacket. I had some problems with fire in one cylinder but after cleaning the points and resetting gap got some fire. I took it out fore the second time today but for the life of me can't get the carb set right. It is spotless but adjustments don't seem to make any difference. It will run great for a little while then just turn to a dog without making a single adjustment. Let me know if you have this same problem or know of some pointers. FYI I had a tough time finding plugs for mine. Ended up getting something close in an Ngk.

M

mrcrabs

It is spotless but adjustments don't seem to make any difference

sound like you having carb problems...have you rebuilt that?

skruff33

Seaman

hey 22 havent had mine out on the water yet ,just picked it up and finally got it fired up by cleaning the points real good n shiney, now waiting on the lower seal to get here ,my gear lube is coming out my pee holes so im suspecting a bad lower seal .ill keep ya posted on if mine does this situation ,but for now i havent got a clue........Have you tried a carb rebuild kit ive found this langs marine i beleive hes n ny but he has a internet site were u can order parts check him out . keep me posted thanx ....