• No; Already In Too Deep

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No; Sell It As Is

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters

gijordan07

Cadet
Hey there,

I'm new to the site, but have visited the forums as a guest several times and have always found the community helpful and knowledgeable. I picked up this boat a little more than a year ago, and have finally begun to start gettin her into runnin condition!
I would, however, like to know a little bit more about this boat before i get too much further in my overhaul. I really need some help with identification, so here is what I know so far:

1. Based on the curved, 3 piece windshield, I'm guessing it to be late 60's early 70's
2. I cannot seem to find any hull ID plate, but the transom has a sort of sticker/label, which appars to say MFG, but I cannot be 100% positive, as it is rather worn.
3. It is 16.5', has a fiberglass hull, and fiberglass ribs
4.All the pics online of MFG boats seem to look similar, but I havent found an exact match as of yet.
5. If it helps, the boat originally had the cable/roller style steering controls, and a Johnson outboard.

Let me know what you guys think, I've got tons of pics, but here are just a few to start the hunt.

2011-06-21 19.35.11.jpg2011-03-19 18.06.18.jpgPhoto0318.jpg[/ATTACH]

Thank you again, any info is MUCH appreciated!!
-Jordan

Attachments

• 2011-06-21 19.38.19.jpg
    2011-06-21 19.38.19.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 1

*EdC*

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: project boat restoration

yep... It's an MFG............ I'm sure someone here will chime in on the year. 60's is my guess

mr 88

Commander

Research the library section at fiberglassics.com it may be a 1960 MFG Seaway.The brochure list the glass ribs and the 16'6" length as well. They used glass fibs up untill 60-61.They were constantly in transition as fiberglass was new to the boating industry then.If you research the hardware and color combos you will be able to pinpoint the exact year.....Is it worth big bucks restored,,,maybe, a big maybe, 2gs to the right person.Is it a seaworthy stable boat,yes. Will you enjoy it over a new POS, yes.Will it turn heads at the ramp etc yes.How is the transom and what is the keel and keelson made of ? There was a resto listed in Fiberglassics use search icon and punch in keelson.I think it is very restorable and with the same vintage motor you will enjoy the nice looking ride for a long time to come................Anymore questions feel free to ask away.

gijordan07

Cadet

Well, I've been diggin around the Fiberglassics library, but still not too sure. It looks very very similar to the Seaway, but all the literature in the library shows the Seaway being a 19'...it also loos very similar to the '64 Westfield, and the lenghts of the Wesfield and Edinboro seem to be about right, but NOTHING seems to have that 3-piece windshield. I don't know what I'm missing, any other ideas to help me identify this thing? It also has a chrome two-horn assembly on the front. Were the horn and windshield options? Also, if I can ever identify this, where is the best place to get some original lookin' guages?

yanks21

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have the twin horns on my carefree, they were a dealer option. The windshield kinda looks like something someone added on aftermarket. Taylormade in Gloversville NY, used to do tons of custom work...

mr 88

Commander

I do not believe they used the glass ribs after 1960/61,research library and see if you can pinpoint when they stopped using them.My mistake on the Seaway,read the overall length wrong.When I first saw your pic I thought Westfield but they did not make them in 60.So upon further review I will say Edinboro.Sometimes the boats were sold without any windshields and other acc such as horns and as noted the selling dealer installed whatever they had in stock or what the customer wanted.Or original shield may have been broken at some time, you never know with this old stuff.So you will get variances in some of those items

gijordan07

Cadet

HA! The windshield was really bothering me... and I finally found a match. Windshield is an exact match to the '66 MFG North Star, which is a walk-thru design. I know that doesn't help identify the boat model, or really have any relevance to my queries, but that was really buggin me. You are dead on too Mr. 88 cuz this windshield really looks stock, so it musta been ordered that way straight from the dealer. Still wandering around the net looking for a model match. Any other things I can do to narrow it down? I'm not exactly sure where to measure from to be able to use the flyer specs.

gijordan07

Cadet

aaand...unless there is arguement from the experts, i'm callin' it a 1961 MFG Edinboro Deluxe. Under closer inspection, it too has the 3-piece curved windshield, the only other one except the North Star that I've come across. Not sure how I missed it the first time, hopefully the debate over the ribs wont overturn my ruling, but I'm not sure how to tell that from the spec sheets. It does have the 54" transom and the 16'6" total length

vwfoolwhy

Seaman

The windshield was an option on many of the MFG Boats It was a center ventilating only propped up not open for walk thru. It looks alot like my Westfield thats 16.5 as well but yours dose not have the high back rails like mine.

I did the best I could to determine mine as a 1963 Westfield deluxe having the center ventilating windshield and hardtop at one time.

Good Luck

Mike

mfgniagara

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Those exposed glass ribs were only used in two years, 1960 and 61, In 1962 they came out with the all glass decks and stringers which went basically unchanged till 1967, when the began to use plywood decks and stringers in at least some models. Prior to 1960, MFG boats had wood uppers and transoms, many were built in two halves, joined with a wood keel down the center.
The length is the biggest clue, along with the style of hull, the only two choices are either Edinboro or Albion, both were 16' 6" hulls but the Edinboro had a proper splashwell. The Albion had only a small tray or none at all.
Both were available with plastic windshields, and I wouldn't be bit surprised if some dealers outfitted lesser models with their own aftermarket windshield treatments.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

This is a really nice boat- but not going to be worth as much resale as you would put into it for a first class job. That doesn't mean don't do it either: if you like boating that is a very good platform and the lines are so classic and you WILL get a lot of attention at the ramps. I keep my Niagara clean and shiny and it is a matter of pride to get walk-up inquisitors at almost every somewhat busy ramp. While the $80K boats get longing looks, these MFG boats engender warm, homey, comforting memories like a comfy family home, while the big-buck runabouts are as warm and welcoming as a sterile stucco mansion in an upscale neighborhood: nice status symbols I guess but no character and warmth.

There are no boats I have ever seen in my loa-class that draw me in like my Niagara. Your boat fixed, clean, shiny, and well-tuned will likely do the same for you.

Last edited:

glastron09

Cadet

mt uncle had one when i was a kid, alot of fun memories, restore it !

woosterken

Lieutenant

Gij,
is this the sticker/decal your talking about??

MFG20Logo20Ver201.jpg

if you take this to a vinyl sign shop they can probably copy it for you. I think this is the corect size.

woosterken

Last edited:

bhammatt

Cadet

Woosterken
Did the original decals have a green oval or was it gold? I've seen it reproduced both ways.

woosterken

Lieutenant

bh,
iam not sure :(
i wounder if the color difference was also a year marker , or the green just faded to gold?

woosterken

bhammatt

Cadet

Here are two photos, the first from an early (pre 1960 brochure) and the second from what I think was a 1960 Oxford. I always thought of it as a "tarnished gold" but am unsure.original mfg logo.jpgmfg logo 2.jpg