Bottom engine swivel mount.

redjmp

Chief Petty Officer
My 86 115 elpto has always been somewhat loose at the bottom of the swivel pin. I always assumed it was a worn out bushing but after having a closer look, it seems the the swivel shaft has minimal play inside the transom assembly but the iron yoke that bolts to the leg has a lot of play on the bottom of the swivel shaft.

The yoke is not secured at all to the swivel shaft and the leg is free to move about 1/4" back and forth as the hole in the yoke is that much bigger.

What is missing here?

What do I need to do to get the play out?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Bottom engine swivel mount.

A lot of them are like that. 1/4" is not too bad. Is there play in the rubber mounts as well? I suppose you could replace the yoke and rubber mounts. You might start with trying to coax the bolts that hold the rubber mounts out of the midsection. They might break....

redjmp

Chief Petty Officer

Is there supposed to be a big c clip on the end of the shaft or is there nothing that connects the shaft and the yoke? No bushing or shim either?

Yes I know about those bolts and snapped some off before...

So the slop is designed in that way or is the hole in the yoke getting bigger?
That yoke is the only rusty part on the motor. Should it be?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

The early 70s Mercs had a big nut. Later (still 70s) Mercs had a circlip, which can fall off.

It is doubtful the yoke was desgined to have lots of play. The yoke is likely forged aluminum, and after woking against the stainless steel swivel shaft, I would think it will wear down.

redjmp

Chief Petty Officer

No the yoke is steel or iron not aluminum.

There just doesn't look like there's suppossed to be anything.

Maybe a circlip but certainly not a nut as there is no room.

But it does not appear to be wear as there is 1/4" movement in any direction not just the thrust side.

So i would think that there is supposed to be a bushing of some sort.

Or has it just corroded so much that the hole is bigger?

There is no play in the mounts or shaft.
Can't find an exploded view of this.

Attachments

• P1030197.jpg
    P1030197.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 3
  • P1030196.jpg
    P1030196.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 2

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

I would think the yoke is splined. It do not think a bushing would therefore work.

Maybe the bushings in the swivel tube are worn and the swivel shaft and yoke have little play?

sschefer

Rear Admiral

These swivel pins were made from carbon steel. The ends of them rust off and the retaining ring fails off. The yoke is just sort of riding there now. The new pins are stainless and pricey but they last a long time. There is a teflon bushing inside the tube (top and bottom) then the wave washer that is sometimes present but often left off if the lower mounts were replaced and the yoke removed. People have problems setting the retaining ring with the wave washer in place so they leave it out. Yours appears to still be there.

When it's all in good shape there is very little end play and definitely no side play. In order to replace the swivel pin you need to pull the power head.