Found the title, I think?

SeaRayMike

Recruit
Hello, I believe I found the title to get our boat re-registered to our name, definately found the bill of sale and the card the previous owner told us to hold on to to take it out. My question is, would the title be also the title for the trailer. The title shows the trailer but also a GVWR of 2820 lbs, not sure if this is indeed the title for the boat. If not I can see it being a title for the trailer because it looks like a vehicle title. Would the boat title look the same or does it look like just a sheet of paper with registration information...? Thanks again in advance and once again, I am in Texas in case you need to know.

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Found the title, I think?

It sounds like you have the registration card for the trailer. A title will say at the top , TITLE and what state it is titled in , usually in some really fancy printing on the background. Titles do not have an expiration date on them either... Does your document mention a boat anywhere on it ?

dmn175

Cadet

If it's a texas boat and trailer there will not be a title for the trailer, only a registration.

SeaRayMike

Recruit

Yep, just went through the paperwork and found the guys number who sold it to me, he claims to have given me both titles for in Tx, you need a title for the boat and trailer and they both look like titles for any vehicle. When he said he gave me both, I remember something vague about him saying that he himself had not received the title but gave me all I needed to re-register it. I have quite a bit of paperwork including a registration receipt that shows he just placed it in his name 2 months before I bought it and that he requested title via snail mail. I didn't want to **** him off by telling him this after he said he gave me both titles because even through he said he would help me out if needed, he was a bit disappointed that I hadn't moved on it. I honestly just found the paperwork today. boy am I bummed!!! At least I found what he gave me.
btw, thanks for your replies folks.

Last edited:

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

If it's a texas boat and trailer there will not be a title for the trailer, only a registration.

Just goes to show you how things differ from state to state...here in Pa , we can register an older boat without a title , but the trailer must have a title to register it...sheesh !

RIDEPATE

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just goes to show you how things differ from state to state...here in Pa , we can register an older boat without a title , but the trailer must have a title to register it...sheesh !

True, here in Ga. you need no title for either. A witnessed bill of sale on a napkin will pass.....

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

True, here in Ga. you need no title for either. A witnessed bill of sale on a napkin will pass.....

Here in Pa, all I needed was a bill of sale to register my boat...a hand written one ! The Fish and Boat folks just checked to see if the person named as owner , was the last person on record to register it.