Winch??

MASTERBrian

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The handle on my winch is stripped out, so I need to replace it. I called a local boat shop and they said they probably could probably find one that would work, but wanted about $15 for it. It seems a complete new winch is around $30-$40, so I wonder if I'm better off just buying a new unit. I'm pretty sure the current winch is original to my 1987 Ranger 373v, but I have replaced the strap in the last few years.

If the current winch seems to be working, am I better off getting a handle and being done or should I look at a new unit for only a few $$ more?

Also, if I were to buy a new winch, how strong does it need to be? I believe the weight of the boat is under/around 2000lb, so is that what I go with or not....

Thanks,
Brian

ufm82

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Winch??

If the handle is stripped chances are the flats on the shaft are damaged as well. For what it costs buy a new one. Do you have a drive-on trailer like most bass boats? You only need to pull the boat up the last few inches usually. Also, the winch isn't lifting the boat- it's just sliding it forward. You can get a basic 1,000 lb winch for $30, a 1,500 lb winch for $45. Get galvanized so it won't rust. Bolts on in 10 minutes and it will come with a new strap. DONE.

Last edited:

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Or if you have a welder... just throw a bead on the handle and shaft. Shoot with some rattlecan to keep from rusting.

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer

An old pilot's truism: if you're worried about fuel, you don't have enough. Don't screw around with your old winch. If you fix it, you'll still have a winch that's over 20 years old and has undoubtedly seen its better days. For the few extra bucks, get a new one.