manual's ?

rhinochaser

Recruit
Would like some input, bare with me, this is the first forum I have ever entered, hope I am doing it rite. just became the owner of a 21' Invader reef runner, with a 200 ocean runner johnson out board, The boat only has 78 hrs. on it, has been stored all of the other time. So it's like off the show room floor. And I want to keep it that way. So should I find and buy a owner's manual, or a service manual, I've had smaller boats and outboards before, so I know basic care and procedures, what would you knowledge fellows suggest. Also the boat has a small section of windshield on the starboard side, supporting the main section, that got broke in storage, and I need the top stainless steel channel section to complete the repair, any suggestions as to where to look for such a piece of windshield framing? Also can someone tell me what is a Tag, that is below the Post Icons on this page?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: manual's ?

Hoowdy, chaser.

Welcome to iboats. :)

You must be thinking faster than you type. When that happens to me I leave out stuff I had really planned on including.

Now tell us the year model of your outboard. :)

You need to address the boat questions separately in the Boats Topics forum.

rhinochaser

Recruit

Thanks alot for your responce, the motor is a Johnson ocean runner 200 hp. 1995, since my last question, I took it to a johnson cert. mechanic. and was informed I had a literally, melted or burned rectifier, regulator, that's why my tack, wasn't working, and not charging my batteries. The johnson part is 325$, and on Iboat, just found a aftermarket for 275, anyone out there know why this would happen, and what to prevent this on this particular motor in the future, I'm having the mechanic go ahead and repair it this time.

emoney

Commander

Could have been a number of different things. Inproper charging could have been one of them from the previous owner. As to the question about buying a service manual: Absolutely. Make sure it's an OEM Service Manual, as opposed to one of the aftermarket books. It might cost $5.00 more, but you'll find it a lot less generic and more precise, easier to follow. Since the boat has sat for so long, personally, I'd change the impellar in the water pump, inspect the entire fuel system, and change the plugs. Look the motor over very well and make sure the plug wires aren't corroded, etc. The one thing about outboards that I've found is that they do a lot better when "used" as opposed to sitting. They tend to get cantankerous when not in use. Good luck.