Boat Newbie questions

GKing74

Cadet
I'm new to boating and looking for my first boat. I'm wanting something big enough to take a few friends out with me but small enough to fit in my garage. Most of what I'm finding in my area that fits that criteria is in the 20-30 year old range. Is there any advice in particular as far as things I should look out for? I've read a lot of posts here and it seems that spongy floors or transoms are money pits waiting to happen. Any powerplants that I need to avoid? The ones I've been able to find in my area are a Mark Twain with 85 hp Johnson, 62 Owens XL 19 with a 283, 78 Chrysler Hydro Vee with 120 hp Chrysler, and an 89 Bayliner. All thankfully have a trailer and none will even come close to the tow rating on my truck so that's not an issue. I appreciate any and all advice and am looking forward to hitting the lake soon!

buzzbomber

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Boat Newbie questions

Just bought my first boat 3 months ago here's what I learned and would recommend.

1. Look over the boat make sure space/hull are what you want.
2. Have a mechanic look it over well worth the 100-200 bucks. This can and most likely will save you big time especially with older boats.
3. Test it, take it out on the lake run it at full speed for a while, run it at idle make sure it's not hiccuping or dying at idle. I would not purchase a boat without a test drive, Would you buy a car without one? Also this way you'll learn how to launch and operate the boat.
4. Check trailer condition (tires, lights, trailer jack, etc..). Small repairs add up.

As far as the engine, you're looking at an older engine so I would place engine condition (Compression/Lower unit) over make/model.

Also doing all this should garantee you a fair price since you'll know anything that's wrong or needs to be fixed.

Hope this helps and all goes well.

GKing74

Cadet

Anybody know anything about Mark Twains? There are a few around here fairly cheap to pick up.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Based on your options there I can tell you're looking for something low budget. Nothing wrong with that. But you need to be really informed to not make a big mistake. Two major concerns are an obsolete powerplant and rot in the wooden components of the hull.

Chrysler and Force outboards are no longer fully supported with parts and service as they haven't been made in over a decade. I'd avoid them. Pre-1973 Johnson/Evinrudes have electric shift and there are some critical and no longer available parts for those. I don't know much about Mercurys but I do know they have some spotty parts support for older models so I'd probably not go much older than the 80s for those.

For stern drives, you want Mercruiser or Volvo with the possible exception of the Mercruiser 470 (it went by some other numbers also but they were all 3.7L 4 cylinders) which was a problematic design and also has some NLA parts. OMCs are out also due to being out of business for a long time and not fully parts supported.

Personally (emphasis that this is only MY opinion, not trying to start a war) but I'd avoid an old stern drive. They can really be money pits and can cost an arm and leg to get caught up on maintenance if not well maintained previously.

For the hull, you want a solid transom and deck. ANY soft spots in the deck are usually indicative of more serious rot in the underlying structure (stringers). I prefer aluminum hulls as they have aluminum stringers and the deck and transom are easily replaced if rotted. Good luck with your search.

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Only thing I will add is if you are unfamilar at what to look at, see if you can find a friend/co-worker to go with you when you go to look at it. It's easy to get caught up in the moment when it's going to be yours, much better to have an unbiased (and hopefully knowlegeable) opinion along for the ride.