Stalling 20hp Mercury in nuetral and slow speeds

20hpmerc

Recruit
Hello Everyone,

So I was really excited because I finally upgraded from my 4hp Mercury to a 20hp mercury with steering and throttle. Brought it out on the lake for about 3 hours the other day. Thing ran great all day. Then when I came back into the no wake zone at the end of the day i couldn't get a good slow speed. It either was going too fast or too slow. Then it stalled out going really slow. I was able to get it started again after some pulls and pumping the primer. But it wouldnt stay idling unless i throttled the nuetral throttle. I gave it some time to idle at a higher speed, but in order to shift into Forward I had to bring the nuetral throttle back down. It died every time. It would take probably 20 pulls each time to start it. Not sure if I flooded it? Are my throttle cables lose?

Engine was tuned up before purchase with new spark plugs and a carb cleaning. No idea what else was done to it.

Please help! Rookie here who wants to keep enjoying the weekends without worrying about no wake zones. I finally got it into forward, but once arriving at the dock and shifting it into nuetral it died within a few seconds. 1993 Mercury Outboard 20hp.

Thanks in advance!