Prime

bigdaddy08302

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Quick question. On my old motor I had the push to choke with the ignition key, on my "new" 1984 115 evinrude I understand this changed to push to prime. The confusion is this...the old motor you would hear a clicking sound when you pushed the key in....no click with the push to prime...is this correct or is something wrong? Do I need to hold it in for a few seconds or just quick push? Thanks for your help.

Will Bark

Lieutenant
Re: Prime

Remove the cowl and you should see to the left of the carbs a solenoid with a red lever; make sure the lever is horizontal with the body of the solenoid; now try the push to prime with your key and see if you hear a click. If not then you have a solenoid problem or a power problem to the solenoid. Good luck

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant

My procedure for my 97 J115, (and the 83 J90 before that), is to pump the bulb up hard, turn the key to "on" (not start), push the key in for a good solid 8 count, turn the key to "start" while still holing it in and let it out when the engine fires,"bumping" it in as needed to keep the engine running until it idles on it's own.
Works every time.

Good Luck
Dave

emoney

Commander

You should be hearing the "click" of the solenoid. Do as suggested above and report results.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The difference between a "choke" and a "primer" system is how the fuel mixture is enriched during starting. A choke system has a second butterfly (choke plate) in the throat of the carb. when you push the key in (push to choke) a solenoid flips the choke plates closed. As the engine cranks additional fuel is drawn into the intake. A priimer system is an "injection" type of system. Squeezing the primer bulb fills the carb float bowls and slightly pressurizes the fuel line just as it does in the choke system. However, when you push the key, pressurized fuel is squirted directly into the intake as the primer solenoid opens. Now you will certainly wonder what the red lever is for. Consider that you might some day have a dead battery so the primer would not function. To enable rope starting this engine, you would flip the red lever which bypasses the solenoid and as you squeeze the bulb, fuel is again injected into the engine. You flip the lever back again and pull the rope. Failue to flip the lever back will make the engine run very rich and it will flood and die.

bigdaddy08302

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You should be hearing the "click" of the solenoid. Do as suggested above and report results.

I will check it out tonite...at work now but I will report findings tomorrow...thanks for your help

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant

I don't hear a "click" from my primer either.
If the motor starts fine, "It ain't broke so don't fix it" ;)