150 Ocean Pro 1999 won't idle after warmed up---fixed---

hydrasport22

Cadet
Once I repaired this I felt much better about the 150 Johnson motors.

Last night for two hours ran the boat pulling tubbers around. 2 Wrestling teams wanted to have fun after practice.

The engine performed perfect it never quit once it ran great it was subjected to highest form of torture. If someone would of tried to sell me on this engine to say it could perform like this I would not have believed him. Fantastic motor. If yours is not able to go from idle to wide open to idle to wide open to idle for two hours without skipping a beat then FIX IT. Because it is well worth the effort.

Plus I shut if off and restarted anytime anyone was near the prop.

I pumped the (4 times) ball to initially start and after it sat while waiting for the activities to get started. Probably did not need to pump it the second time though.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 150 Ocean Pro 1999 won't idle after warmed up---fixed---

Can you enlighten us on the fix you did?

hydrasport22

Cadet

Chris, remember we discussed this in detail.

New molded plug wires and new coils.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Sorry, that was in a galaxy far far away. Disregard my PM.

Do you think the plug wires were arcing, the coils were bad, or was it possibly a poor ground on the coils?

hydrasport22

Cadet

All grounds and connections were cleaned and retightened with no effect. I think it was a combination of a few bad wires and poor performing or intermitten coils. Since you must remove the coils to change the plug wires I did both as the correct molded plug wires and the coils are not that expensive.