1995 Johnson 40 HP- I have no spark.

Rick.

Captain
Hello to all. Model # J40ELEO. I was getting set to check my timing tonight and thought my new timing light was defective. Put my spark gap tester on both plug wires and I am not getting any spark at all. Cut the black/yellow Kill Switch) wire and still nothing. She is cranking over very well and the battery is fully charged. On my last trip out last fall I could not get the motor to fire. I redid the carbs. and the primer thinking the motor was flooding. Probably had no spark that day and just didn't realize it. Anyone with some suggestions? I have a service manual and looked thru it tonight but some may have experience to point me in a correct direction. Sure would appreciate some advice. Thanks to all. Rick.

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1995 Johnson 40 HP- I have no spark.

Test CDI unit according to manual, and if good test stator according to manual. post back results.

Rick.

Captain
Re: 1995 Johnson 40 HP- I have no spark.

Removed my ignition coil and tested it. On the primary circuit bottom reading was 1.1 and the upper was .4 The book tells me the reading should be .1 plus/minus .05 Does this mean the primaries are bad and I've found my problem or need I look further? The secondary upper and lower were 293/294 ohms and within spec. Thanks, Rick.