1971 18hp, flywheel wobble...

ill13

Cadet
..as the title says, the flywheel is "wobbling", enough that it is hitting the recoil starter supports/legs. Is this just the upper roller bearing? Is it a drop in part or will i need to split the crankcase?

thanks

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1971 18hp, flywheel wobble...

Is the flywheel torqued down properly? Did it just happen or has it been running that way for awhile?

ill13

Cadet

Well, the flywheel nut came off easily enough, so no idea on that [going to orange/blue box tomorrow to get bolts for flywheel puller].

It just happened as far as I know, I've had the engine for ~2 seasons, I water tested it early this season, didn't notice it then...But the engine lost a lot of power on the return trip and ran really poorly [I assumed either one plug/coil or carb problems] so I put it away, then on Sat I pulled the carb, cleaned it, re-installed it and started the engine..at that point I noticed the loose flywheel...

I'd rather hope it's a mis-torqued flywheel!

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Take a good hard look at the crankshaft before you reassemble it. Also inspect taper inside flywheel along with key. If there is any question on any part, renew or replace.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

It sounds like the flywheel isn't sitting down on the crankshaft properly. Do you have the correct key in place?

ill13

Cadet

pulled flywheel...crank is wobbly...I'm going to have to split case and, at the least, replace roller bearing. Really don't want to do this [who does!?!], I could sell it as is...

...Naw, unlike a car/inboard, pulling and splitting a 2 stroke outboard, plus reassembly should only be a 4-8 hour job.

I need a head mounted camera first! I try to document all of my work, but I hate stopping to take photos.