Motor mounts for volvo

Otter0575

Cadet
I have a Volvo Penta I/O which of course mounts to the transom. I was wondering if anyone ever mounted their motors to the stringers also to help lighten the load on the transom.

Dunaruna

Admiral
Re: Motor mounts for volvo

I have heard of it being done but have never seen it. No reason why not (that I can think of). Maybe DonS has an opinion on this.<br /><br />Aldo

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I've never seen it done, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be. <br />You would have to get the brackets for the engine that hold the motor mounts, the rubber motor mounts themselves, and possibly put in some stringers for them to sit on. <br />As long as the transom is in good shape (not rotted) there shouldn't be any problem with the transom without the front mounts.

f_inscreenname

Commander

I seem to missing something here. I run a Mopar small block with a Volvo 270. The motors bell housing bolts to the transom shield and the front motor mounts sit on the stringers. If you are talking about where the bellhousing bolt to the transom shield the motor is balanced in such a way that there is very little weight at that end of the motor. If you had the motor out and hanging from the front motor mounts you could pick up the bellhousing end with one arm. All the beefy parts and bolts back there are to prevent the motor from breaking from the front mounts and going through the bow when you take off. Is there something I am missing???

Don S

I seem to missing something here. I run a Mopar small block with a Volvo 270
I seem to be missing something here too. Mopar NEVER put an engine in front of a 270 either.<br />BUT,......Volvo did mount the early 4 cylinder engines attached to the transom shield, but with a seperate mount below the engine that rested on the lower part of the transom shield and didn't have front engine mounts.<br /><br /> Click here and have a look........<br />Look Ma....No front motor mounts. :eek:

Don S

The link is a .pdf file (Adobe Acrobat) which means it will be slow to open.<br />I don't doubt that some manufactures didn't put Mopar engines in front of the 270 drives, it's just not a Volvo engine.<br />Right now, Yanmar is putting diesel 300's on the Mercruiser Bravo II's and III's, Merc warrants the drive, and Yanmar the engine, but it's not a Mercruiser engine.

Peter J Fraser

Chief Petty Officer

Hi all,<br />I have a buddy with a 4 cyl V/P and his has no front mounts but it had a support pad under the timing cover. A little engine weight sits on the rubber block when the engine is at rest.<br /><br />When I questioned it he told me that was how they were made from factory.<br /><br />Seemed to work ok to me.<br /><br />My 6 cyl however has mounts on both sides of the engine block.<br /><br />Peter

Dunaruna

Admiral

Wasn't it only the 4cyl models that were suspended off the transom?

Don S

Yes, just the old 4 cylinder Volvo's were suspended like that.

Otter0575

Cadet

My transom isn't rotted through but it is tired after all it is the original and working in aviation I tend to overengineer things. The problem is that when out of the water and travelling it tends to flex so I guess I have made up my mind to make front motor mounts. Simple enough since I have both a mig welder and Milling machine. Thanks for the help everyone great sounding board here.

posum2

Cadet

Hi, I've been trying to find why my 1980 Bayliner with 4 cyl volvo penta 270 does not have a motor mount in the front; you folks are telling me it only hangs on the transom so I guess its balanced there? I put in a beam with some mounts a while back and seems to work.<br />I need a bit of advice on changing the exhaust hose though mentioned elsewhere, do I have to lift the engine? thx