Rod Length

4TheLoveOfIt

Cadet
What is a good rod length for catfishing in a boat? Ive got about 11x7 deck and most times it will be atleast two people fishing.

2 Eagles

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Rod Length

Any thing from 5' to 7'. But I guess it's realy a personal choose kind of thing. Most of mine are 6' to 7' long.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

On a boat, shorter is better unless the method dictates otherwise.

Fishing Dude too

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I use 2 10 footers, but have rods as short as 6' just depends on how I'm fishing. Never heard of using cats for bait what do you catch on them?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I use 2 10 footers, but have rods as short as 6' just depends on how I'm fishing. Never heard of using cats for bait what do you catch on them?
Got to ask. What are you doing that requires a 10' rod on the boat? Rods that length are only used when surf fishing around here

2 Eagles

Petty Officer 1st Class

^^^^Same here. What kind of catfishing are you doing that requires a pole that long on a boat? I only use 10' -14' poles when jigging for crappie. Besides he is asking about catfishing and I can not see useing that long of a pole for catfishing on a boat. You would have a heck of a time landing a catfish with a pole that long on a boat.

I looked last night and my new catfish poles (just got Dec. 2010) are 5.5' to 7'. You might try the 5.5' ones for fishing off your boat. But again as I said before it's a personal choose to the length you use.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

The longer the rod the more difficult it will be when on a boat. It is very challenging to use these rods in any condition because of the length. The longer the rod the less lb test line you need, in our case we are able to land 10-15 lb fish with 4-6 lb test line.
In Michigan we use long ?noodle rods? for steelhead in the rivers, I have an old 12 footer (fiberglass) that works for both salmon and steelhead. The idea is to tire the fish with the rod instead of brut force and muscles.

AF rigger

Seaman Apprentice

Myself, I use six and a half and a seven foot rod when I am catfishing. Both have differant action and differant size reels on them as well as line class. I fish with chicken liver on the smaller rod and shad on the other, heavier, rod. I will be going to six footers soon to make it easier when in the boat. good luck