No Spark SOLVED

Volvo 5.0 Gi PEFS.

No Spark.
I have the Volvo shop manual went through procedures, determined bad coil.

Replaced coil.

No Spark.

Check pickup coil resistance, and cranking voltage in spec.
Tested wires (inductor) between distro, and coil, tested fine.
Cut tach wire, installed connector to isolate tach.
Test light on tach wire fluctuates during crank, as it should, meaning the coil is getting voltage pulses from distro.
Rotor is spinning. also checked static timing, on TDC #1 cyl, pickup coil poles were in alignment, rotor was at #1 position.

Induction timing light fires on coil wire, but no spark, light will not fire on plug wires.

Replaced with another new coil.

No spark.

HELLLLLLPPPPPP? PLease!!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: No Spark

When you have the key in the run position, do you have voltage on the purple wire going to the coil?

Yes, in the run position, battery voltage minus .08 volts.
Now I haven't checked voltage during cranking, Ill check that in the AM.

Thanks

Don S

Induction timing light fires on coil wire, but no spark, light will not fire on plug wires

Coil wire, cap or rotor has got to be the problem if your timing light if you have spark coming from coil, but not going any further.

Coil wire, cap or rotor has got to be the problem if your timing light if you have spark coming from coil, but not going any further.

They have been replaced, also a new ignition module.

I have no spark coming from the coil, at least nothing that will jump .040", only enough to trigger an induction light. Thus it also wont jump
the gap from rotor to cap terminals.

Don S

Disconnect the gray wire from the tach and try it.

Re: No Spark SOLVED

This is a weird one.
The fuel I saw coming out of the injectors was the left over from the filter and reservoir.
The low pressure pump was dead, the high pressure pump still pumped gas.

I replaced the fuel cell ($650.00 OUCH), besides fuel pressure, I now have spark.
Boat fired right up.

Don, does a dead fuel pump report back to the ECM to kill the ignition???

I disassembled the fuel cell, and found the damn ethanol gummed the pump.
Also, what is the consensus on the best treatment to fight Ethanol issues?? Startron, or Stabil??

Lastly, while waiting for my pump, I had WitchHunter clean my injectors, I highly recommend them.

Don S

does a dead fuel pump report back to the ECM to kill the ignition???

Actually, just the opposite. When cranking, the ECM has to have a signal from the ignition that tells the ECM to run the pumps.

The best treatment to fight Ethanol issues is new 10 micron filters, more often.

LP pump was "0" PSI, HP pump was 9 PSI. I had battery voltage at both pumps during cranking.
Either way, I got it wet today!! Brought 2 paddles just in case. All went well.

I did discover a nugget, while tracing back to the pump fuses, that there are spares in the relay cover, on the riser!!!

The new filters that come with the newest fuel cell revision are Volvo Penta 3847644, they are twice the size, and now say water separator on them.
So if you had a small 3862228, you now use the above number. I hope those help.

Can you access VP Bulletin P-23-3-4 ?? Id like to see what it mentions about the filters.