Force 90 trim problem

mikerockland

Recruit
i have a relay switch problem sometimes trim goes up. when i switch the relays the opposite happens but sometimes the trim goes up and down than stops and olny goes one way. do you know what the problem could be? thanks

KHopkins218

Cadet
Re: Force 90 trim problem

Possibly the relay could be going bad but not fully manifested in a trim that doesn't work. I'd check all the connections, make sure they're clean and well connected, if that still doesn't solve it, a new relay may be in order. You very well may be able to take the old relay into NAPA or similar auto parts store and they can order you a new one. What year/serial # motor?

RRitt

Captain

Just throw a new pair of relays at it and see if problem goes away. relays are dirt cheap. Under $3 each. Try google, amazon, or ebay.

mikerockland

Recruit

yr is 91 also sometimes when i try staring the motor it wont kick over have to wait 10 -15 min than try again could it be the starter?

KHopkins218

Cadet

Is that 10-15 minutes trying to kick it up after its been running for a bit? If so, definitely the relays. When they're going bad, they tend to act up after they've been heated by the motor, but resume when they cool down. I wouldn't throw your starter under the bus yet, if its getting power to it but not turning, thats one thing, but it sounds to me like its not even getting power to it. I would definitely investigate the relays and replace them.

My motor is a 91 70hp that sat for ten years. One of the first replacements was my relays. Didn't want to take a chance. I keep a spare pair in my toolbox when I go out just in case.

RRitt

Captain

yr is 91 also sometimes when i try staring the motor it wont kick over have to wait 10 -15 min than try again could it be the starter?

start at battery and clean every connector of your main power feeds to both engine and console including both positive and negative. If problems persists then probably motor but maybe solenoid.