Master/Slave Solenoid - working intermittantly (temperature effect?)

valid8r

Cadet
2003 Mercruiser, 4.3L EFI
Does it seem 'plausible' that the Slave solenoid could be temperature/humidity sensitive? In other words, the solenoid might work when it was cold and had sat for a few hours and not work after use for a half hour or so?

After following the FAQ on trouble-shooting my system it seems like my Slave solenoid works sometimes and other times it doesn't work. The sequence has to do with letting the engine cool down and sit idle for a couple of hours - after which she starts up as if nothing ever happened...

Does anything in this description make sense?

Thanks,
Jon

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: Master/Slave Solenoid - working intermittantly (temperature effect?)

If it is acting up replace it. They do not cost very much. Contacts inside can burn over time and causes it to work some times and some times not work.

79Merc80

Senior Chief Petty Officer

This post belongs in the MerCruiser I/O forum. Not in the Mercury/Mariner Outboards forum.

**********************************************MOD's, please move to the MerCruiser I/O Forum. Thanks.**************************************

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Jon, Are you having trouble with the solenoid mounted on the block or the starter? The Slave solenoid would normally be the one on the starter. I had all kinds of trouble with the solenoids on the rebuilt marine starters I would install on my MerCruiser.

valid8r

Cadet

Problem solved (thanks everyone). It was the solenoid (the one on top of the block, not on the starter). I was able to confirm this by shorting out the two main contacts on this solenoid which would consistently start the engine and then replaced it with the $20 part.

Thanks to all that helped.

Jon