Steering lock for outboard in center position for towing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rivrhnd

Cadet
I recently purchased a Tracker Targa and have noticed while towing that the motor wants to pick a side to lay on while in tow, even with the transom saver hooked up. It is a 90hp Mercury 4 stroke and I can't find anything that would lock it in the center position. I have been using a tie down to hold the steering wheel but there has got to be a better way. Any suggestions or something I am overlooking would be helpful.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: Steering lock for outboard in center position for towing?

two thoughts.... first... what's the problem?
second... is there an adjustment on steering friction?

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

The outboard will lay over to one side but I don't see how that is any problem. I've towed thousands and thousands of miles with the motor all the way over to one side with no problem of any kind. I now have a boat with hydraulic steering and it stays centered but I wouldn't care if it didn't. If you really want it centered then I think the strap is a pretty good idea.

Evinbuck

Seaman

I have the same problem with my 85 outboard. Even with the transom saver the motor, if not tied down, will go left or right and essentially it neuters the point of the transom saver when laying over one way or the other (it's shifted the weight off the center of the transom saver). I've not yet found a better solution than using two bungee cords fastened to the steering wheel countering each other and they keep the motor straight. I'd would also like to hear other solutions. I'm not familiar with different steering cable set ups but mine is old school with the greased shaft and the motor turns quite easily by hand just grasping it by the hood cowling. I see no way of adjusting to make it tighter.

Status
Not open for further replies.