How to get marker off vinyl seats

boxer156

Cadet
We accidentally left our life vest over-top of one of the vinyl seats last week, and uncovered the boat this weekend to find that some of the ink came off the vest and marked the seats. What can I use to remove this?? I tried Magic Eraser, and the mark didn't budge, so I'm getting worried!!!

I never thought leaving the vests over-top the seats would release the ink!!!

oldjeep

Admiral
Re: How to get marker off vinyl seats

Might try some of that scrubbing bubbles bathroom cleaner if your seats are white. It has taken some hard to remove dirt off my seats in the past. Were they new life vests, seems odd that there would be ink transfer - what happens when you wear them?

Knot2Bad

Cadet

As a father of two young boys....i will tell you that I have gotten more stuff off with WD-40, starting fluid, and gasoline. But start with the household stuff first (formula 409 etc).

1980Coronado

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I was going to suggest a Magic eraser....um....I've never seen a life jacket bleed like that.....hard to believe since they're supposed to get wet! I've never tried this on boat seats so use caution....Isopropyl Alcohol is a weak solvent. You can get it at the drug store in 99% strength, but you may have to look for it......the regular stuff isn't as strong. It will say 99% on the bottle. Try it in an area you cant see to make sure it won't damage the seat. It's worth a try, just use caution.....I'd probably use some armor all on it after you use the alcohol, because it might dry the vinyl out. Hopefully the alcohol is strong enough to attack the ink.

boxer156

Cadet

Might try some of that scrubbing bubbles bathroom cleaner if your seats are white. It has taken some hard to remove dirt off my seats in the past. Were they new life vests, seems odd that there would be ink transfer - what happens when you wear them?

They are relatively new, but with leaving them all week under a boat cover, and in summer heat, I think that caused some of the markings to come off. You can literally read the size and decal on my seat!!

I think I'll try the WD-40 that was suggested--that stuff DOES take everything off!!

1980Coronado

WD-40 is basically fish oil (Water Displacement formula #40 = WD-40)....some guys use it on their lures to attract fish! You're going to need a light solvent to dissolve the ink to wipe it off.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

WD-40 is basically fish oil (Water Displacement formula #40 = WD-40)....some guys use it on their lures to attract fish! You're going to need a light solvent to dissolve the ink to wipe it off.

Myth. WD-40 is kerosene in a spray can.

I also vote for trying rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol first. 70% stuff like from the drugstore is fine. Works great on removing permanent Sharpie ink.

cw.abeljr

Recruit

Last winter I had my rifle case under my bed in hunting camp. I did not know that someone had put a bucket of roofing tar under it and the corner of my case got the tar on it. I put the case on the back seat of my new truck and when I got home when I removed the case the tar was on my cloth seat of my truck big time. I tried numerous household cleaners with nothing working. I then tried WD-40 and it took it right off without harming the cloth what so ever. You cannot tell where the tar was. It might be worth a try in your case.

1980Coronado

Myth. WD-40 is kerosene in a spray can.

I also vote for trying rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol first. 70% stuff like from the drugstore is fine. Works great on removing permanent Sharpie ink.

Ok...I fell for it:facepalm:.....

1980Coronado

Well I had the opportunity to try the Isopropyl Alcohol on my boat seats.......My 12 yo daughters friend had used permanent marker on her hand to draw something goofy on it....kids....anyway, we went out on the lake after dark to watch the fireworks. The next morning I noticed purple and blue hand prints on my cream/white seats......nothing worked accept acetone, and that didn't take it all off...you can still tell where the spots were. :mad:

boxer156

Cadet

Well I had the opportunity to try the Isopropyl Alcohol on my boat seats.......My 12 yo daughters friend had used permanent marker on her hand to draw something goofy on it....kids....anyway, we went out on the lake after dark to watch the fireworks. The next morning I noticed purple and blue hand prints on my cream/white seats......nothing worked accept acetone, and that didn't take it all off...you can still tell where the spots were. :mad:

I tried ALL the above recommendations and none of them even BUDGED the ink spot.....I will try the acetone to see if I can at least 'lighten' the mark up.

This sucks.....my seats are in mint condition other than this dam mark!!

robert graham

Admiral

Spray carb cleaner on a Q-Tip and use gently to rub off the stain. Works well on most stains!