Need help with steering cable and charging system

Hello all I am a new member to this forum and happy to be here..
Problem #1 - My steerting cable snapped within 3 minutes if putting my boat in the water. I am trying to replace it however I dont know how long of a cable I need to order or any details for that matter. o I have a 1989 thompson 27 ft with a 10 foot beam.. twin merc 470 i/o.
Problem #2 - These motors have some sort of internal charging system that obv has some issues cause one of the motors has an external alternator attached to it. The one with the alternator charges the batteries(i put a gauge on it) however the one without is not working properly and does not charge the batteries. I have 3 batteries and they are all linked together in series. Do I really need to spend 700 bucks on the kit to bolt on an external alternator?? Wouldnt the one alternator be plenty to charge the batteries?? After all my other boat with one motor has only one alternator and if all the batteries are in series isnt that mean they will all charge from the one alternator?? i will fix the problem however I am assuming that she will be fine for the weekend or two with one alternator.
Last question/comment- I was thinking about restoring this boat this winter and putting two brand new 350 motors and new drives. I know this wouldnt be cheap however is it worth it? The motors I have now are gas guzzlers and the boat only does 30mph on a good day.. I would like to get this boat crusing at 35mph with a top speed of 50 if possible.. is it worth it or just sell the boat and get something new??

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Need help with steering cable and charging system

1. You need to post your steering cable problem over in Boat Topics and Questions (Not engine topics)

2. Your single alternator should charge your batteries with no problems.

is it worth it or just sell the boat and get something new??
All it's going to take is money. It's up to you to decide if the boat is worth it to you to keep.