New(red) Shift Cable for OMC

RedRangerVIP

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Can anyone tell me where I can get the new type red cable for a OMC Shifter. I just looked and my boat still has the old type cable.<br /> Thanks,<br /> Larry

DHPMARINE

Captain
Re: New(red) Shift Cable for OMC

If you go to your dealer and buy a new cable it will be current.The red cable thing was back in the late '80's,and I doubt anyone has one left.All dealers replaced hundreds of these.Even us small guys.I also image your cable has been replaced a few times by previous owners.<br />DHP

DHPMARINE

Captain

i do over the counter.don't you have an OMC/BRP dealer out there?<br />DHP<br />Trust me.... there are no bad cables left....actually they probably never existed,shift problems were caused elsewhere.<br />DHP

RedRangerVIP

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nearest one is in Colorado Springs. I'll take your word for it that it's probably the new style.<br />Is there anything I should do to this cable? I doubt the maintence was very good on the boat. Although, it only has 126 hrs on it according to the meter.<br /> Thanks<br />Larry

P.V.

Chief Petty Officer

Uhhh, I will confess that I've seen quite a few "bad" cables. Can you visualize a pig's tail?? Sort of "corkscrew'd"???? That's what the orginal recall for Cobra's was for! Most consumers had their cables replaced "prior" to failure but the orginal "ribbed" black cables would eventually fail. Later cables; smooth black and "red" jacketed ones could of failed usually due to salt intrusion, binding up or seperation of the outer plastic where it meets/enters the brass "sleeve". Often, mechanics would not install the plastic sleeve/sheathing around the cable so that the cable could ez'ily slide inside the large rubber tube, hense the cable would bend or stretch itself every time you'd turn or tilt the outdrive! The OMC recall cost over $35 million or more and really screw'd up the public perseption of a really good outdrive, except that OMC used Fords!!!

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

The red cable has been around since 1986, 18 years!!!!!<br /><br />The original problem cable had a black ribbed outer housing. There was also a black smooth housing cable that was OK. <br /><br />Almost every I/O had their shift cable changed under warranty back in those years like P.V. mentioned.

JustMrWill

Master Chief Petty Officer

Sorry for highjack -<br />DHPMARINE Where do you work? I am looking for a good OMC repair/parts shop.<br /><br />-JustMrWill

RedRangerVIP

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks alot guys!!<br /> Checked cable today when I was winterizing and it is one of the smooth black units.<br /> Thanks for all the help!<br />Larry