Freeze Plug Problem

MTBoat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I pulled my mercruiser 140 to access the missing freeze plug and replace. It seems the flywheel covers 2/3 of the hole area. How can I press a new plug in effectively, or, do I have to pull the flywheel off,,,,I hope not. Any advice on how to proceed? thanks

45Auto

Commander
Re: Freeze Plug Problem

What's so hard about pulling the flywheel? It's what, half a dozen bolts on the coupler and half a dozen holding the flywheel to the crank?

You've already gone to all the trouble of pulling the engine, spend another 5 minutes pulling the flywheel and replace the casting plug correctly.

MTBoat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK, thanks, wasn't sure if it was difficult or not. In terms of putting the plug in and securing it properly...what is the best method?

Hey there,...i have a mercruiser 120 hp, and i just did the same thing.My top freeze plug was coming out,due to the lack of the previouse owners lack of winterizing. It was my first time doing this,and it was easy.I was able to use a pair of long nose pliers to pull mine out. Ive heard of some people drilling a small hole with a drill bit in the center, and screwing in a long screw,and then pull it out with some pliers! Good luck!

cr2k

Captain

Use brass replacements or do it again soon. You can use some permatex or locktite around the edge. Find a socket that just fits inside the plug lip and smack 'er down home.

Remove, I usually just drive a flat blade large screwdriver into it and pry it out.

dingdongs

Chief Petty Officer

whilst the engine is pulled it maybe wise to run it up on a pallet as they normally only come out when theirs a serios freeze and you may find other problems when run up.we do assume the drive was pulled and your gonna re-align everything when reassembling.

MTBoat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks,
When you pulled the flywheel to access the plug hole, how did you get the flywheel to come off easily. I got the coupler off and now the flywheel is pretty jammed on there. Am I missing some more bolts or something, do I need to heat it to tap it loose?

dubs283

Vice Admiral

Am I missing some more bolts or something, do I need to heat it to tap it loose?

they are usually kind of tight on the crank

just give it a slight tap on one end (towards the block) to kinda **** it on the crankshaft end, keep your other hand on it so it doesn't fall off, then work it off

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

whilst the engine is pulled it maybe wise to run it up on a pallet as they normally only come out when theirs a serios freeze and you may find other problems when run up.we do assume the drive was pulled and your gonna re-align everything when reassembling.

guys.....if you had a "freeze" plug pop out, you NEED to PRESSURE CHECK the block with compressed air. Core plugs (aka "freeze" plugs) usually pop out when there's freezing water in the block. It also usually cracks the block. You need to pressure check the block/head(s) to ensure that you do not have a crack somewhere.

Core Plugs DO NOT prevent freeze damage. They only indicate that Freeze damage might be present.......

Just saying..........

Rick

Pete104

Lieutenant

You are absolutely correct! But you can't pressure test anything with a missing casting plug!