Evinrude 25 slow pickup

2mate

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi guys,
My 1998 evinrude 25 be25elece has a slow miss. Basicly when i floor it its very slow on pickup and takes its time to plain. I have fiddled with the low speed and it helps a little but dont really know where to start!
Any ideas?

jherlyn

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Evinrude 25 slow pickup

Are you sure its not a slow miss and your spark advance timer arm is getting ahead/behind your fuel. I'm dealing with the same problem with my 75 hp evinrude, and When I take the cowel off and my dad opens the throttle and I mess with the arm if we sync together it fixes the problem.

I'm still working on it but this rain keeps ruining my plans:mad:

2mate

Petty Officer 1st Class

When the spark advance is set it idles to low and dies!

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hi guys,
My 1998 evinrude 25 be25elece has a slow miss. Basicly when i floor it its very slow on pickup and takes its time to plain. I have fiddled with the low speed and it helps a little but dont really know where to start!
Any ideas?

OK lets start wit the basics. 1. What are you compression readings? 2. Does it have good hot spark?(Check with spark tester). 3rd. when was the last time carb was overhauled?If more than a year or unknown, overhaul it. Post back results.

2mate

Petty Officer 1st Class

Compression is 110psi on each. Spark is there and blue, havent rebuilt the carb. Would the carb rebuild be down to the low idle when the spark advance is set correctly?

fireman57

Captain

When you get the carb clean your low idle jet will work properly. This is a relatively easy task and fixes a myriad of problems. the fuel nowdays breaks down pretty quickly and these small holes clog easily.

2mate

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think it may be a fuel diaphram problem. Does that sound like the problem?

fireman57

Captain

It could be. when it doesn't want to go pump the primer bulb.This overrides the fuel pump. If it runs fine then rebuild/replace your fuel pump.